_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
AoA Albatros finally under way...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi there

Just a couple of pics to prove I have (finally) managed to make a start on the AoA campaign!

Work has been so heavy, I simply haven't time for much modelling. I thought two months would be plenty but, after a delayed start, I'm away for two weeks from tomorrow, so I think I'll have to scrap my plan of entering a Nieuport 17 as well - there simply won't be time.

Anyway, the Albatros cockpit's just about done. I added a few wires and levers from reference pics. I began to wire up the engine untill I realised it would be all but invisible! Don't worry, I got rid of the dust before closing the fuselage!!

This is my first attempt at using oils for a "wood grain" - my big plan was to paint the fuselage exterior and let it dry while I'm away... I might just make it if I'm lucky... :-)

All the best

Rowan
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
You interior is great ! The wood grain is outstanding !
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:40 AM UTC
awesome rowan,how did you do that woodgrain? thats what I like to see!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
:-) Rowan, very realistic wood grain and a very nicely detailed interior and engine
Who makes this model?
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who makes this model?
Mal

Hi Guys

Thanks for your kind words.

Mal - It's the Eduard 1/48 Albatros DV - the latest Eduard kits seem like the best bet for WW1 novices like me!!

Dave, I'm sorry I haven't been able to contribute anything to your campaign 'till now. I made a "false start" over a week ago and then work intervened... I wasn't able to touch the kit again till yesterday! Once I'm back from my holiday I'll try to post some regular updates - I've felt really bad watching you all posting plenty of great stuff while I've been idle!!

As for the wood effect - I did it in 3 stages:

1. I sprayed an undercoat of Tamiya XF-57 Buff - thinned with cellulose so it bites into the plastic a bit better (good tip for most acrylics).
2. I mixed up what seemed a reasonable wood colour in oil paint (in retrospect, I think it's probably too dark and too red...) and applied it with a flat brush.
3. A minute or so later, I dragged a clean, dry, flat brush over the paint to create the "grain".

The effect is nice BUT there a 2 things to watch out for!!

1. The oil paint stays tacky for some time (I'm talking days...) and is a DUST MAGNET!!!
2. The effect isn't very robust and can be damaged quite easily - this could be a problem when it comes to masking the exterior for the colourful scheme I'm planning...

Let me say now, this technique is lifted from some quite stunning work I've seen from other (BETTER!) modellers... any problems I've encountered are probably down to me!!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
Rowan, very, very nice! Can't wait to see more!
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
wow nice work,,,, so far
thats comeing a long really nice.
i got a new job now i start wensday now i can buy more models
sphyrna
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
Porky,
Nice!!
2 quick questions-
what is cellulose?
The cockpit and engine come with the Eduard kit ?

looks great!
Peter

airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, I'm sorry I haven't been able to contribute anything to your campaign 'till now. I made a "false start" over a week ago and then work intervened... I wasn't able to touch the kit again till yesterday! Once I'm back from my holiday I'll try to post some regular updates - I've felt really bad watching you all posting plenty of great stuff while I've been idle!!

so starting early not good enough for you?! had to start late too?! j/k
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Porky,
2 quick questions-
what is cellulose?
The cockpit and engine come with the Eduard kit ?

Hi Peter

Sorry, I sometimes forget this place is international! Cellulose is what we Brits call laquer thinners.

Yep, the interior is pretty much straight from the kit. I replaced a couple of dials and levers, then added a few wires, but that's about it. Oh!... and I made a seat cushion (my reference pic. shows one) - then I forgot to put the seat in the picture!

I don't know if Eduard do a "Profipack" version... if they do, it will probably have a load of etched metal details to add, plus a seat harness (I've nicked the buckles for mine from a Fokker DVI - they match the ones in my refs).

Hope this helps

All the best

Rowan
sphyrna
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 03:05 AM UTC
Porky,
thanks for the info. I never thought to mix Tamiya with laquer thinner- interesting!
You may be starting late in the campaign- but I have not even bought the kit yet!!!!!!
I'm also planning on building an Albatros D. V - a great uncle of mine actually flew one during the Great War- so I'm going to finish it in the same paint scheme as his.
My credit card is whimpering in my wallet

Peter
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
nice work, I have the alvbatross Dva profipack kit in 1/48 and your basic cockpit detail seems much better, the control stick in perticular, mine took some scratch building to bring it up to the quality that yours is, also the seat bracket is much better, just a slab of styrene in my kit, again nice work

Bender
 _GOTOTOP