_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Boeing P-26 with Starfighter Decals
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
How many people are out there with some of those bargain Hobby Craft/Academy P-26 kits but do not trust the kit decals enough to do a build? It's too bad because it was Hobby Crafts best kit by far and has lots of colourful schemes. Some people were lucky enough to get the OOP Aeromaster decals for these kits. Finally there is an alternative.

Starfighter Decals have recently released a P-26 decal sheet #4802. Price being $12 plus $2 postage to Australia. I'd never used any of this companies decals before, so didn't know what to expect. The sheet contains indivdual markings for 4 aircraft and national insignia for 2 aircraft. Once i actually recieved the decals i had no doubts as to the quality as they are printed by Cartograph- my favourite decal manufacturer. Printing is perfect, so it was just a question of how well will they actually fit the intended kit.

I decided to imediately get out one of my two P-26 kits (this one being an original HC kit that i got at a swap meet for $2) and do a build. I was still in a Golden Wings mood after doing the AM F3F-1.

I decided to do the Bolling Field, DC aircraft. I kind of had Bolling Field on the mind due to running around in it's post apocalyptic ruins in the PC game Fallout 3. I had doubts about the workabilty of the one piece nose ring decal with the dark blue stripes. I was thinking i'd need to mask and paint those...but no harm in at least giving the decals a try. Well they worked perfectly. Both the HC kit and the new Starfighter decals are fine products.

I prefer these colourful subjects factory fresh...hence the high clean gloss finish. Probably not to scale, but i finish my models for myself however i like at the time- that's the advantage of not building for competitions.

Now that it's over i have two relevent questions. 1. Why didn't Hobby Craft do all their models as good as this one? 2. Are Starfighter Decals going to do more 48 scale P-26 sheets? Afterall they have several sheets in 1/72.

Andrew
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Wow, great looking model. An interesting subject too. Russell
 _GOTOTOP