_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
New painting - Richthofen's Albatros D.II
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi folks. Here's a new one that I just finished. Its a depiction of Richthofen's Albatros D.II which he flew while with Jasta 2.

This is a fairly small piece (17" x 10"). It isn't a color study, but it is a preliminary study for a larger piece that I'll be working on soon featuring the same DII (the difference being that a color study is just a miniature prep for a larger, identical painting - this is a finished painting).

For my lighting reference I used the Encore Models 1/32 Albatros D.II. I am no master modeler by any means, but I do try to achieve the correct colors and finished so that my references will be fairly accurate. Once completed, I mount my models on an armature, which helps give sufficient distance from the camera lens and is much less intrusive in the photos than my hand!

The markings come from Jim Miller, author of the recent Air Power Editions volume on MvR. I was originally going to base the markings off of what he featured in his book, but just prior to starting the painting he emailed me saying "stop the press - I changed my mind about the markings on this aircraft." According to Jim, Richthofen's D.II was overpainted in "earth tones", and accounts from Lothar von Richthofen substantiate this. He couldn't say what color exactly, but one possibility was reddish-brown, which is what I went with. Jim also pointed out that he now thinks that the wing cross fields were overpainted.

With that information in hand and with my lighting reference as a guide (despite the now incorrect markings) I was able to churn this one out fairly quickly. I saturated the colors slightly more on the upper surfaces in order to add a little more visual interest and to prevent them from getting lost in the background.

Young Eagle
17" x 10"
oil on linen on masonite

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Russell: I really enjoy your work and your explanations of how you go about creating a piece of art like that. The end result is really good. How was the Encore kit? I have one and am thinking of making it my next project.

Cheers

Mark
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Thanks Mark. The Encore kit was pretty good except for the fact that the upper wing was warped when it came out of the box. I had to heat it and flatten the thing out.

Russ
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:33 PM UTC
Greetings all;
As alway Russell your work is inspriational. It take a real talent to put the viewer in the cockpit, so to speak.
I have this book on order and plan to do a review in the near future.

http://www.rzm.com/books/ape/ape7732.cfm
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 06:52 PM UTC

I love the fact that you have a genuine wingnut in the cockpit!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Good Eye Stephen. I didn't notice that before.
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Ironic isn't it? If only this were a Wingnut kit, I could probably turn this into a marketing campaign for them.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Beautiful painting Russell ! It is great having you here and sharing your talents with the rest of us . Looking forward to your next painting .

Very nice job on the model as well . Love the wingnut
 _GOTOTOP