_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya's new 1/48 Zero
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hello all,
I hope I'll have enough time to complete this build!
I came back from Tokyo last week and one of the things I've taken back is Tamiya's recently released 1/48 Zero.
I would have liked to go to the famous Akihabara district, where you can get everything you want about models at an interesting price, but having spent only a couple of days there I didn't have the time. So I looked for the modelling division of Shinjuku's Yodobashi, which had a small selection of models at a very interesting price. Mainly Tamiya and Hasegawa models were available, even some I've never seen around (Hasegawa's 1/144 civilian aircrafts, I thought they only made 1/200), and a nice model I could have got was Platz's 1/72 Predator, but I didn't have any suitcase to check-in, only a hand baggage and the camera bag. I got the Zero for 2680 yen, which is about 22€, definitely a better price comparing to the one I would pay at any shop in Rome. I also asked for the PE detail parts but they were not available.
I have a nice selection of models to start and a couple to complete, but I couldn't resist starting the new one, so here we are.
Yesterday I spent the whole evening cutting and cleaning the several cockpit parts

I read some articles about this kit's cockpit and I just had a confirmation of the high level Tamiya has reached. Only the seatbelts are missing, but are provided as a decal. I'll try to scratchbuild them with some metal foil, the one used to cover the top of wine bottles.
The assembly is extremely precise and clever and even a small jig to align the fuselages on the front is provided.
I also cut the fuselage halves, which will receive some cockpit details before being closed, and the wings in order to see how they fit: simply perfectly!
The gear pits provide a structural support to the wings and allow them to fit at the joint with the fuselage.
In the following photos I only taped the wings together and didn't press the fit much, but this way you can make a general idea

So far, I'm extremely satisfied and I expect to be able to complete this model within a reasonable time, working especially during the weekends. I just hope the weather will improve a bit in order to allow me using the airbrush, as I work in the open air with those nasty chemical things.
Just a small remark: the fuselage halves have three nasty sprue-attaching points: two of them are quite huge and are on the underside, the third one is in the riveted area just beside the cockpit, so one has to be very careful while sanding in order not to lose the details. As for the ones on the lower fuselage, I removed them with 600 and 100 grit sandpaper but there is a small gap when closing the halves. The designers at Tamiya were definitely aware about this: in fact, there is a panel line running all along the underside, and it's NOT placed in the middle, but it's slightly asymmetrical, so it won't be difficult to use some putty in order to fill the gap!
More to come soon, stay tuned!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:07 PM UTC
What version of the Zero does this new kit make?
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What version of the Zero does this new kit make?

A6M5 and A6M5a. The only visible differences are a couple of panels on the wings and the gun barrels. I'll show them later!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I read some articles about this kit's cockpit and I just had a confirmation of the high level Tamiya has reached. Only the seatbelts are missing, but are provided as a decal.

Hi Giacomo

I envy you your trip to Japan!

Tamiya include etched seatbelts as part of the detail set they released alongside the kit:

You can read our Review of the kit and accessories HERE.

All the best

Rowan
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!
I was aware of the detail set, I asked for it but the shop assistant told me it was not in stock! I'll see if I manage to find it here in Rome, and if I don't Luckymodel or Hannants will be helpful as usual!
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
Small update.
I started preparing the wings and glued the gear pit to the lower section of the wing. Moreover, I started cleaning other parts.
I hope I'll be able to start painting the cockpit in the afternoon.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:58 PM UTC
Ok, the wings are coupled and glued now.
Unfortunately a bit of glue ran out from one of the wings' panels to be attached in order to depict the different versions and I have to fix it.
Another thing to point up: the parts depicting the gun barrels attachment don't fit very well. In the meantime, I started completing the Hasegawa F-104S in 1/72, left apart for almost one year!
Photos coming soon!
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
Here we are!
I've chosen to depict the M5a version, the decals provided feature white-edged Hinomarus for it.
I didn't have time to airbrush the colour on the cockpit parts, but started working on the wings.
First of all, you have to glue the gear pits, which will be painted with metallic blue

Secondly, you have to attach the upper halves of the wings. No problem at all. Lots nof clasps of course! The round thing with a "D" shaped hole just behing the gear bays contains a poly cap and will be used to attach the droppable tank (2 different featured in the box: one with support pylon, one without). The "D" hole is needed to allow the tank to be aligned.

The box features the parts to depict the A6M5 and the A6M5a, which differ only for the wing guns' loading system. These are some panels which have to be applied on the upper and lower surface of the wings, and a couple of parts, which represent a section of the leading edge of the wings, on which you have to glue the gun barrels. The former fit excellently, but I applied too much glue and it run out. The latter fit very tightly, or better, they fit very badly in my opinion. Maybe I didn't sand them very well, but they look thinner than they should actually be. I applied some diluted black to underline the lines

How to fix it? I don't have any experience in scribing, so I opted for a radical solution: as for the wing panel, I will fill the ruined line with Mr. Surfacer or putty+acetone or green Milliput (which one is better?). The leading edges will remain like this, it's too late to fix them.
As for the rest, the wing root fits excellently

I also started cleaning the fuselage panels and test fitted them, they are terribly precise as well.
When the weather improves (too much wind today) I'll start painting the cockpit. I'll use Tamiya's XF-71 Japanese Interior green as a base, as per instructions, and will brush paint the details.
Advice or comments welcome of course!
 _GOTOTOP