_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix JU-87B-2 1/24 cockpit and engine.
Vorgurn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi!

This is my first post here at Armorama.
My name is Bertil and I live in Sweden and I have started to build kits again after some years break.

I mostly build armor and like to build interiors and detail my kits. But I found the Airfix JU-87 kit cheap and liked that there was interior to build.

I have started to build the kit and I´m locking at the engine parts and cockpit parts.
I would like to check if the details are right and need good references to do corrections and to scratchbuild more details to the engine and cockpit.

I have been locking on the web and found some pictures but not good enough.
I know there are some diffrences of the cockpit and engine depending prototype of JU-87, so I'm after info, pictures and drawings of the JU-87B-2 cockpit and engine.

I would like to know if somebody can help me out, if someone has good pictures or can recommend a site or a book?

Thanks
Bertil
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
HI, and welcome to Armorama. The cockpit of this plane is very, very good. It is the best 1/24 kit that existed, at least until the last year or so. If you are planning to build the kit OOTB, then you can do it, or you can purchase many different aftermarket accesories from Waldron and others to really take the kit to the museum level. This kit is one of the first really nice models I built, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the cockpit area. The Hasegawa 1/48 JU87B kits are a little nicer, but the 1/24 kit really shines for a huge kit!

The JUMO engine is not quite as good as the cockpit, and is very simplified. You should be able to find photos of the engine compartment, but these types of detail shots are probably to be found in books.

Airfix actually published a book in the 1970's on building this kit. I found one in a local library. The Squadron "In Action" book is a good reference that is inexpensive. Cockpit photos should be readily available on the web. Try a google search for "JU87" and "Stuka." You may also want to try "jumo" and "Junkers."

Aircraft modeling sites will also be very helpful, try www.hyperscale.com, www.aircraftresourcecenter.com, and www.modelingmadness.com to start.

HTH,

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Bertil, I can't really help with the sort of reference you require but I would like to welcome you to Armorama
It would be very nice to see in progress pictures of your big Ju 87, if at all possible :-)
Mal
Vorgurn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have been searching the net many hours to find ref. pictures of the JU-87B-2 and haven´t found pictures that are good enough.

The Airfix book...what is the titel of it, or is there any info of it?

I will post pictures of the project when I have done some parts, right now I´m scratchbuilding a new instrument panel =)

Bertil
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Bertil,
I am working on a Hasegawa 1/48 Ju 87 and had the same problems with finding really good photos for the interior of the stuka. This may seem silly but about the best reference I could come up with was a color picture of the Aires resin cockpit and engine upgrade set.
The picture is kind of small and does not have shots from different sides or angles so it may not really do you that much good for scratchbuilding the details you want to do.
Also there are a few model reviews of the Stuka from some modelers who used these resin upgrades that do have some pretty good shots of the engine compartment.
It may not help you much but it's worth a look anyway.
For some of the better and larger selection of model reviews try sites like squadron.com, aircraftresourcecenter.com

Good luck, If I come across anything that might be of help I'll be glad to pass the info on to you.
Wayne
 _GOTOTOP