_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Suchoi Su-7BMK - Eduard 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Haha, you don't know my stash ... at this pace I would still have to live a hundred years .... I made 10 last year and there is none finished yet in 2010 though the F-5E just needs the guns, missiles, antennas and hook

thanks for watching Michal!

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi again

today i did some of the unpleasant work, but sometimes I have much fun with such stuff ...

Here is the tail pipe. After glueing the fuselage halfs I filled the gaps with putty and smoothed it with Tamiya extra thin glue (I have an extra brush for such work). When that was dry I thinned the edge with a round chamfer in my motor tool (you can still see some plastic material that is in the pipe (I painted that before I installed it inside the fuselage) again smoothed with glue. Today I put some paint and wash on (still wet in the picture) ... this is just preliminary to check the effect...

I also constantly work on the seams, but I still have to wait for the final polishing and filling as I used Faller expert which is a thicker plastic glue that sets pretty slowly and thus melts a lot of plastic. Good I drive home for a few days on the weekend, so I leave that thing alone. There is also a nasty step in the wheel bay where upper and lower half meet. I removed that with a cylindrical chamfer and again liquid plastic glue. This is necessary as there are some PE parts to be installed on the wheel bay walls. I also worked a bit on the wing to fuselage transition (no filler yet).

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Looks good, Steffen. Funny to follow your build since my own is still fresh in my mind.

The new Eduard coloured PE set for the cockpit and the resin ejection seat are very nice and were not available earlier.
On the other hand too bad Eduard did not include the exterior PE set. That set includes PE exhaust and PE speedbrakes which can really add some nice details - especially if the speedbrakes are open.

Your cockpit looks outstanding and that seat will be a beauty. In my case I found out the cockpit could not close with the resin seat I used

Looking forward to see more
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

Many thanks for your kind comment!

A few notes to explain my point: I thought about buying the set for the wheel bay covers, but I do not care too much about the pipe. This will be very dark and the difference for the over all look is marginal IMO. The new seat is really nice, not sure it will fit under the hood, but I want that one open anyway. I also wanted the speed brakes closed as I think they disturbe the nice line of the aircraft too much. Other than Drabslab I think the canopy is crap ... it's much too thick for my taste. All in all I think this is a nice model though a bit of a challenge for the novice.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi all

not much progress today, I rescribed some lines and thinned the edges of the control surfaces which I glued on then. Looks almost like an aircraft....

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 09:34 PM UTC
Still slowly ... step by step

I glued in the lhs switch board

then I added the fuel pipes on the fuselage and the Quickboost scoops. There is one left and Eduard indicates in the instructions that part 80 is not used but it is shown on the cover (see first post: scoop on the back between the lhs pipe and the fin root)

I won't model over the weekend, which gives the plasttic a little time to fully cure. I still have to decide if I attach the elevators now or not. I will check this thread so if there are questions, advises or comments please feel free to post them!

all the best

Steffen
Thorst
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Steffen,
Think I found this thread a bit late, but It's becoming a very nice little bird! I'll follow it carefully!
Can you recommend this kit so far?

Thorsten
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi Thorsten

many thanks for your kind comment! I also follow your Aggregat 4 thread without commenting .....

As for the kit: it is some 20 years old and it shows in places but all in all it is a good package (OEZ/Kopro kit and eduard goodies). I would not recommend it for the beginner though

all the best and

Frohe Ostern!

Steffen
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Steffen, The cock-pit is awesome! The kit reminds me of an Su-7 I had but was by Oez ( I think). It looks very familiar. At any rate, great work so far! I may get this after all , Michael
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 02:19 AM UTC
Thank you Michael!

this is actually the OEZ kit, but it is still o.k. and the extra Eduard spice is a nice touch.....

all the best

Steffen
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC
Could this thing (Su-7) be built as a Su-17 Regards,Michael.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Michael

no I do not think this is possible without a major conversion. Just wait for the re-issue of the Su-17/22 kit (Su-17 is domestic USSR, Su-22 is the same bird for export)

all the best

Steffen
Removed by original poster on 04/05/10 - 15:39:54 (GMT).
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
Steffen, are you sure? I'll P/M you as so as not to junk-up you great build
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi all

Last week I ordered this Eduard set, which arrived on saturday. I thought there would be some more detail for the main wheel well, but that was a misjudgement. Really new are just the main wheel bay covers ...

I also did a bit of research .. or better my pal Volker did so and he dug out his Aerofax. In my opinion there should be the scoop at the root of the fin lhs between fin root and fuel pipe (part 80 in the kit) so I'll add that Quickboost part later today...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi all

I added the scoop and started with some work on the u/c covers. I copied the instructions and glued this with PVA on a laminated plastic sheet. I will cut that out tomorrow:

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Are you going to fill in a bit around the ailerons like you did with the air-brakes? The gaps do look a bit big. Paint "flooded" neat into the seams might do it...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

yes I wanted to add a bit of Mr. Surfacer there. Not much as I wanted a slightly larger gap, but it is a bit too much at the moment. Maybe I will also add some sheet to make them a tad broader, but I have not decided yet. Today I worked on the u/c covers. i'll post more pix tomorrow.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hi again Steffen

Yeah - it wants something, doesn't it. Mr Surfacer sounds good to settle in and leave a gap, but not too much of one (if you know what I mean).

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 08:53 PM UTC
Good morning gang

As announced yesterday I took a few pix of the u/c covers:

I am a bit afraid, as these covers are heavy, but we will see if the stuff holds to the kit.

all the best

Steffen
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hello ALpha Tango!!!

Great build so far! I´m working on the Kopro boxing of this same kit, and adding the Eduard exterior set to it! So, i know exactly what is going on there, and let me say that yours is looking very, very good!!!!!
My best regards!!!!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
Many Thanks José !

I'll watch your thread too!

all the best

Steffen

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
How's the Sukhoi coming on Steffen?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hi Jan

No progress I fear ... but i plan to get some old projects finished this year (this included). At the moment I try to settle in my new flat and cope with the job and collegues also there are always new things that itch my fingers

cheers

Steffen
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 09:59 PM UTC
Great work steffen!

Those Wheel well doors are a great touch! It's great to see so many Su-7/17/22's on aeroscale!

I'm hoping to start mine as soon as I finish my Hind.

:)
 _GOTOTOP