Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/144 B-24J Tubarao 491st BG
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 04:08 PM UTC
I found this Academy minicraft B-24j Liberator at a modeling show this weekend for a whopping $2.50. Its one of many 1/144 scale models I've recently added to my stash and now the first to be built.

I decided to make it a little different then the others I've seen by making it into the Assembly ship Tubarao (The third Assembly ship) of the 491st Bomb Group. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the decals from the kit or paint them on. From what i can tell the Tubarao had a few more stripes on the fuselage section then this kit has. Of course the only actual pictures I've found are of the nose. I can find nothing of the rest of the aircraft other then drawings and concepts. If I do decide to go that way I can see this project stalling midway as other project start dates approach. The other issue will of course be making the mouth and name for the nose. Any input as to the best method for me to approach this is welcome.

The Model

The Real Tubarao

Computer generated concept

I started by slapping on some interior color. Right off the bat I went rogue. The directions called for black and I went with Interior Green. What a rebel I am. :mrgreen:

After the paint dried I assembled the fuselage and wings.

before i put together the fuselage I stuffed the nose full of plumbers putty. It seems to be enough but you never know. I have bad luck when it comes to adding nose weight.

Wings in place

More craziness. I decided to cut the engine cowl flaps

Applying the aluminum paint.

That's it for now. Time to check on my Red Sox. Till next time.

Thanks for looking.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 07:50 PM UTC
Dirk, nice job so far especially with the razor saw ( not cutting off anything in that scale). This looks like a pretty good kit, detail and fit seams fine so far. I could not even see the finished build without a magnifying glass, my hats off to you I am going to subscribe to this build, wish you much success.

Bob
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
Thank you for the kinds words Bob. I hope I don't disapoint.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:29 PM UTC
Time to get back to Tubarao. After I let it sufficiently dry (Silver seems to take longer to fully cure) and after reading about the decals I decided to toss them out and paint them on.

Masked off the areas I don't want to have painted

Yellow applied

Masks in place

Applied Testors Beret Green

Next I turned to the 4 Pratt & Whitney R-1830 turbo supercharger radial engines

Unmasking

Engines in place

Thanks for looking.[/img]
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC
Here I apinted on the De-icing boots on the leading edges of the B-24

I added White to the tail of the B-24. This should have been done before I put on the green stripes but i forgot.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work
 _GOTOTOP