_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Filter for an Airplane??
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hello,

I am new to aircraft modeling and have a burnng question before I start weathering.

On armour models it is quite common to use filters to add weathering and depth. However I have not really seen it on aircraft models. Is it something that is done?

I am wanting to do a filter for a 1/48 Stuka and I am not really sure what colours to use. It will be an eastern front aircraft.

I have seen the dot method done but I have not had a lot of good luck with it. I have also seen where the filter is sprayed on using a very diluted solution of browns, sprayed over the whole model and then a pin wash done to bring out the detail

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks,

Cam
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi Cam,

I think that would make the aircraft appear dusty--fine for armor, but might look odd on a skysteed.

The pin wash along panel lines gives a good effect.
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 04:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply.

How do you tie camo the colours togther?

Cam
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
Bear in mind that filters aren't only for weathering. They add tonal variance to the colour - not 'dust' per se. You'll find that the filters you may use for armour may very well work with aircraft as well. If you want the aircraft to appear on the Eastern Front you'd use cold colours such as blues, and visa versa for the Mediterranean you'd use warm colours such as yellows. I think it limiting to think that MIG Filters are only applicable to armour, when in fact they're suitable for most modelling genres - it simply depends on what you're trying to depict. Why not experiment?

Rudi
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC
I've seen several VERY nice looking aircraft models done with color filters. Probably just keep it a little subtler than on armor.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
I use them on my aircraft. I like the way they break up the "vast" patches of color, making for a better scale effect.

Cheers!
chuk
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply's.

So what would you recommend for doing a filter on a 1/48 Romanian Stuka on the eastern front.

Would spraying on a diluted colour work or should I try the dot filter method. Also, what colours work the best. Why would blue be a good colour for the eastern front?

Cam
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
For the filter I'd suggest random dots of red, blue, burnt sienna or burnt umber, ochre and white. There's no real cut-and-dry way to pick exact colors! Remember that a filter is a thin film of paint acting as a glaze- so use as little thinner as possible. Once that dry, seal the model with acrylic again- then use a plae tan color for washing the panel lines on the dark uppers, and a gre-brown for the lighter lowers. Follow up with a spray of highly-thinned dusty tan. This is the fun part- enjoy!

chuk
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the help!

What sequence do you do the washes? Do you do the pin wash and then the filter or the other way around?

Cam
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
I'd do the filter first- then the panel lines, although in the nd I don't think it would really matter. The idea is to get some light variety in color- and you can always do careful touch-ups. Enjoy!

chuk
 _GOTOTOP