_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
POLL
Do you compete in Model Contests?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 10:43 AM UTC
Do you enter your models in contests, is the competitive side of our hobby a turn-off for you - or are you somewhere in the middle? That''s the subject of our new Poll.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
I have in the past, and probably will again in the future. But it's not a major driver (for me) behind getting models done, like it seems for many modellers. I just reckon if I have something done, I'll show it
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
I enjoy model shows as well. The last one I was involved in was some nineteen years ago in Asheville, North Carolina. It was the Southeast Regional show that the French Broad Modelers hosted back then.

The problem I see is some people build for competition and I suppose that is alright, but when people get to wound up over it it destroys the fun of the hobby.

I try and produce the best models I can within reason, I enjoy building to the best I can but try to remember it is suppose to be enjoyable.

When the penlights come out shinning into the cockpits it sometimes just gets too much!

With that said I hope the model show I am helping organize in Kingsport, Tennessee at Bays Mountain Park on July 17th is well attended. Russell

P.S. Also I would add that model shows are VERY subjective. You can enter one show and get nothing in the way of an award, you can go to another and take first place. Some of this depends on how well represented the shows subjects are, but still....
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
I do enter the odd one or two BUT it really annoys me when a lesser model with seam lines (fingerprint in finish) wins over something which is more accurate and technically executed. Thats why I have stopped looking at shows when the judging is finished.

I always get stared at in dis-belief when I enter mine in comps. The best had to be when I went up to collect my prize for winning a class and it was announce 'for HIS Tornado' then to be asked if I was collecting the prize on 'HIS' behalf

My final pet peeve is lack of research/ knowledge by judges on horse mounted figures. Why do people use light grey or white to highlight black mane and tails or black points. LOOK at a black horse if I led one in from the field with white all over mane and tail I would want to know who on earth put talcum powder over it. Black horses shading would be if highlights glossy if in the shadows more matt black. The figures look good but surely if in a MOUNTED section the horse should come into it. I don't actually build mounted figures for comps (mainly aircraft) but it just annoys me as horses have very little shading unless they are under a tree with sun above the tree etc but the ones correctly shaded are often over looked because there seems to be a mentality in the figure comps the darker the shading the lighter the highlight the better the figure? Hmm I would have thought better natural skin tones would be better obviously this is where I go wrong going for the natural look.

Allen has just told me to get off my high horse

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Allen has just told me to get off my high horse

Be careful how you do that Sam,,look what happened last time

Yeah,, I know,,,
I'll get me coat.
Nige
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC
I haven't yet for several reasons:

- I am not that much of a competition animal and having to finish in time for a competition would ruin the fun (campaigns are already hard enough

- I feel (maybe wrongly) that to compete I would have to build popular models, using popular aftermarket stuff, weathering and finishing my models according to the "current fashions" and no longer as I want it.

- there is also a factor of uncertainty. Are my skills good enough or will this become a major disapointment

Dougiedog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC
I would like to explain my motivation for entering competions.

Usually there is a small fee for entering competitions and to enter a few models helps the organisers fund the show. And the shows help keep the hobby vibrant.

I've got a few medals (never a first) and that's fun and if there is something, like a particularily good finish which I'm particularily satisfied with and it gets recognised, well thats a nice feeling.

So its about supporting the show organisers and having a bit of fun, not serious building to win, I just enter what I have.

Oh and a tip, if you are trying to pick a model from a selection of your kits, discuss it with a friend. At one show me and a pal picked one model from each others collections as well as picking some of our own. Neither of our own selections from our own collections did anything yet the model we choose from each others collections got medals!

Cheers
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 07:44 AM UTC
Me personally - NO,To me our beloved hobby is all about enjoyment.It stems from the anticipation of seeing what`s in the box for the first time to putting the finishing touches to a brand new creation.
That said, i have friends who do enter competitions - one does it for pleasure,the other seems to me to be a bit of a rivett counter as he`ll spend ££££`s on AM stuff AND THEN spends months getting it "just right".
Where`s the fun in that ??.
I have a very stressful (multi-drop delivery driver) Job and to me,our hobby keeps me this of sane but that`s just me.
KAYELL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Guys... and girls

I model purely for relaxation as I too have a streesful job.

I think I have only entered models in competitions twice as my standard is just average.

When our model club exhibits at sshows I will put some of my models on display, what really does give me a buzz is when a model of mine is looked at, photographed or you are even asked about your work.

Cheers

Keith

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
I enjoy competition and have entered contests in the past (25 yrs. ago) was the last time. Life and family had curtailed the money, time, and travel to and from contests. My main focus was meeting people and sharing ideas, with the treat of having a chance to see all of those beautiful builds.

Sam has pinned down my
no. 1 pet peeve the judge's intelligence/or lack
no. 2 the phseudo intellectual who knew more regarding the a/c that I flew on for several years in the US Navy and continued to try to tell me that I was wrong about the markings, weapons carried, fuel the a/c used, the tire pressue, even when I brought out the photos to display with my model. This is why I like to visit the community here, it is more like a family.

Well to finally answer the question "yes I still like to compete but like Rudi it is not a major drive in my life"
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 09:27 PM UTC
No mainly because I don't think I'm good enough, especially in the popular areas such as 1/72 jets or 1/48 WW2 props.

Having said that, bizarrely enough I've got a 2nd and 3rd the last 2 years at the Coventry show with its "open" comp, where all the models on display are considered for judging.

I do feel I can (and perhaps do) a better job with armour than planes, and I have contemplated enter the comp at smaller shows.
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
I compete for various reasons. First, just to get away from the daily grind. Being around other modelers and talking shop/ swapping info/technics and ideas. Also to see any improvement in my own progress, not the judges but in the eyesof other modelers. Listening to others opinions of this and that is a great and friendly way to learn and improve. At one time in my life winning was important. I would stay up untill 3 in the morning just to finish a peice and it would suffer from it and I would be cranky the during the show and not enjoy it. Now adays I couldn't care less. Yes, it is nice to be noticed by the judges, but it goes one way or the other as far as judging your work goes. If judging was more like the A.M.P.S. system, maybe more people would compete. Not against one another, but against themselves on a level of improvement. That is my goal in compatition, self improvement. But all in all, it's our hobby and enjoyment is a must.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
Well first of all you should know my life long views on competition in general, which is: if you aren't racing against the clock or scoring goals then it aint worth wasting ones time on.

During the Winter Olympics i keep my own personal medal tally that removes all the worthless judged sports.

So, making plastic aeroplanes for competion? You cannot be serious?!

When i want competion i play sport.
When i want fun and relaxation i build models.
For mind numbing boredom i go to work.

Also, i don't tend to play well with most other modellers in real life. When i go to the Melbourne Model Expo for a look (i still love looking at all the excellent and skillful work of others), i seem to get swamped by people either (A)wanting to tell me how much they know about something i don't care about, or (B) having a whine about something i don't think is very important. And when i suggest that they maybe should get a prescription for medicinal maruauna to "chill" a bit, they get all angry.

So, you can see why i don't enter model competions. It would probably just get ugly, trust me.

Andrew
Dougiedog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC
Gosh, I'm a liitle surprised at the strenght of feeling some have around this question.

Perhaps the question should be, do you display at shows? I do, with a pal, for that thing which seems to have lots of different definitions, fun.
Some clubs, sigs, people with particular interests, etc bring their models to shows, and they are not always the best, (or most extremely detailed) builds in the world but for me these displays make the shows.
This aspect of showing is not competitive but usually a few kits from the displays end up in the comps, or, as some folk only have one or two kits, they put them in the comps.

Fun, and relaxation are ellusive commodities and different for everyone, i agree about getting away from the grind but I'm not sure photo etch parts are either fun or relaxing but you don't think of much else while using them.

Also its difficult to take the hobby too seriously when your face is level with the carpet and you are hunting a tiny brown piece of plastic on a brown carpet with other interesting brown items in it (thanks pet dog with muddy paws) but it also isn't laugh out loud fun either.

I think rewarding, and satisfying are other emotions I would link with the hobby, and both of these are emotions that can be aroused when someone appreciates your kit. I guess if you enter shows & comps you do have to be ready to ignore negative remarks or feelings and we should all be positive towards each other & each others efforts, after all we are all in it together.

Heyho
I've gotta get back to the carpet, I'm still trying to get a model ready for a show next weekend and while I found the 1st dropped peice when hunting for the 2nd dropped piece I do still need to find it !

cheers
Adam
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Greetings all;

To builders; A model is just a model. If you want to improve your skills ask for critism. Otherwise remember just because someone makes a comment doesn't mean you have to accept their evaluation. This is a hobby and we need to be mindful of all the help we old bones got from our modeling club buddies. I can credit my current skills to the national champions who took the time to not only share their builds but were willing to offer helps and tips on areas I asked for help with.

I totally agree that the way you offer your comments make the difference. If you care to help be kind. It doesn't cost anything to be polite. There is always someone out there that is a better modeler. The goal should be for the modeler to satisfy his or herself. Posting images on websites serves several purposes.

1. to ask for help.

2. to offer insight as to how you do something specific. To explain a technique.

3. to create discussion and exchange on ideas.

4. to allow new modelers to see what can be done.

5. to inspire others to try it or a variation of it themselves.

To critiics; It is just a model. Rather than do any finger wagging consider the option of letting someone have the chance to make a mistake and not be discouraged from trying again. Just some thoughts from an old bone.

Consider WWI aviation. A subject most people know little about and are willing to believe kit paint instructions concerning their finish. I opened this website geared to the average modeler who has very little in the way of reference materials. This will never make me rich but it will help the hobby grow and give modelers another resource where everything is in one place. How to do certain subjects will always be what Finescale and other websites will be needed for. Give and take. It is a hobby and should be a community where we extend ourselves to helping those who are coming after us.

When it comes to contests and judging categories; It should go without saying. "You have no friends when you are a judge." One must put aside familiar relationships in order to be as impartial as possible.

Personal preferences for weathered or unweathered models and use or non use of a base or clear covers are just that, personal preferences. These concerns will not enter into initial deliberations. Later if it comes down to two well done models then the hair splitting begins. Essentially it comes down to the most realistic. I firmly believe that you should judge in areas you specialize in but not also compete. Its either one or the other, not both.

The emphasis is on the basics and that is where it belongs. While I have seen aircraft that did not comply with the painting directives or were even the wrong colour, I never saw one with a seam down the middle of it. So watch out if you are an entrant that tries to cover up poor workmanship with "Schmaltz." (Flashy paint job or storyline, extra detail sets, fancy base etc.) Each entrant deserves a good critique . As a judge you are obligated to give help and encouragement when a constructive critique is asked for.

The guide to a well built aircraft model.

Basic Construction:

1. Is the alignment correct? Square, plumb, uniformed surfaces.

2. Do you see any glue joints? How clean are the joints?

3. Is all flash removed neatly? No flat spots on rounded surfaces.

4. Are all seams filled? Was there a seam on the original ?

5. Are all molding marks, sink marks, copyright marks and ejector pin marks removed?

6. Are clear windows or the model itself clear of all glue marks and smears?

7. Are wings and tail plumb and square to each other and the fuselage?

Details:

1. Refinement, thin edges, scale thickness for all exposed parts?

2. Prototypical representations of surfaces. Wood area look like wood, metal like metal, fabric that looks like fabric.

3. Nuts and bolts, are they well defined or do they just look like bumps.

Finish:

1. Does it accurately resemble the original? Flat semi-gloss or gloss. Factory fresh or war weary?

2. Is the lettering or markings straight or duplicating the original?

3. No decal silvering or carrier film evident.

4. Is it weathered realistically or does it detract from the over all appearance?

5. Are there brush marks? Uneven coverage, brush hairs in dried paint or the dreaded finger prints?

6. Are paint separation lines clean and even?

In the end You can gather a wall full of trophies and ribbons. But it is still the build that gets you back to the bench.
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
I look at contests and shows as a form of contribution and not so much as competition. I go to as many local area shows as possible which works out to about 4 a year. I enter into the competitions as well as the 'display only' areas. My motivation is that it's the only opportunity to see people's work all in one place at one time. I always enter models myself and have generally been very happy with the results but again, the competitive aspect is not the reason for me going to the shows. I like to contribute to the process while enjoying the opportunity of viewing everyone's own contributions as well. It's an equal pleasure for me to see first class models and learn from them as well as seeing the first-timers to the hobby. The people you meet and the opportunities for knowledge transfer and enrichment are tremendous.

cheers and see you at the show!!

Bob
Dougiedog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC

Just back from the Scottish Nationals in Perth
Lovely Show
Lovely people
I entered one model into the competitions
Category 36 Miscellaneous, or Non of the above...
Revell Jupiter C, the only Real Space subject in the comps. So true to my previous posts about keeping the hobby vibrant by adding diversity.

Much to my surprise I won the class Wooo Hooooo

But I'll never win anything for my photography

_GOTOTOP