_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4J - RNZAF
robw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi all

Well I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here. Just signed up for the WNW GB with an SE5a and Pup but as yet I don't have any pics to post. So I thought I'd try a test post with a build I've been working on and off for the last 6 months - a TA-4J Scooter in RAAN colours shortly after it's delivery to the RNZAF. Scooters are a subject I'm a great fan of - mainly because for many years it was the most exciting thing in New Zealand skies - now of course we have Peter Jackson and his flying replicas, Peter Jackson and his full scale Lancasters, Peter Jackson and his 1/32 biplanes... you get the idea...

I apologise to any viewers that may have seen this build over on Britmodeller, but as I said, it's a test post for me....

So here are some pics:

Box cover - ooh nice, shiny...

I won't bore you with sprue and instructions but this official RNZAF shot shows the airframe I'm trying to replicate:

So first the cockpit - nothing new or unusual here if you've built a Hase A-4 - just that there are two cockpits:

And the cockpits after the fuselage is buttoned up:

Wings on:

Only fiddly bit was getting this panel on the underside sorted - remove a piece from the wing to allow for the extended fuslage forward of the intakes:

Then some paint:

I wasn't happy with the colours, so I re-mixed and re-painted:

I tried my hand at making a buddy refueling tank:

But then found one available from Red Roo Models in Oz (excuse the jump forward in the build - here she has some markings on, radome painted, interior of the flaps painted red, etc, etc):

A few more markings:

And another angle:

The only other addition was some resin seats - shown here part-way through painting:

It was after I painted them and was going all gooey over the detail that I realised they were slightly too wide for the cockpit! Fortunately the detail that had to be removed was insignificant and hidden by the sides of the cockpit....

So all that remains now is to paint the wing tanks in the old SEA scheme the RNZAF used through the 70's and give it a final clear coat - I haven't got pics yet - coming soon.

Here is a pic of a single seater in the SEA scheme:

And a A-4K circa mid 90's (this was the avionics and airframe upgrade that extended their life until the strike force was canned completely by the then Labour government in the early 2000's):

Both awaiting clear coats and removal of masking, some twiddly bits such as aerials and we're done...

Cheers

Rob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC
G'day Rob, welcome aboard !

Very nice work, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing your WNW progress shots.

Cheers, D
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Those are some nice Scooters you have there. I always liked the SEA scheme on the A4 and yours came out perfect Its a shame the full sized birds are sitting idle and i hope someone buys them and gets them flying again , i remember going to airshows in the 90s and seeing them doing their thing.
robw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:11 PM UTC
Just a wee update - a few pics of the scooter with the RedRoo buddy tank installed. The tank is all resin and you are supplied with a small template to make the fins at the front - I made these from aluminium cut from a soft drink can.

Just need to spray the brown/green SEA scheme on the wing tanks and add a few of the dangly bits. Then a final clear coat, polish the screen and canopy and it's done...

Cheers

Rob
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 04:35 PM UTC
Looks great Rob - glad to see some Kiwi planes being made up
robw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi all
Well I've had a very slow month of modelling - been concentrating on house renovations so more woodwork than plasticwork lately.

I'm going to call this one done - or at least 99% done - couple of touch-ups to do, some minor weathering around the guns, exhaust, fuel tanks and a final spray of clear to seal it all - but knowing the rate at which I work and get bored with subjects, move on and come back to them, it may be some months before I get everything wrapped up.

So here is the scooter as she stands:

Close up (ish) of the Red Roo refueling buddy tank (used on A-4 and A-7 - excellent casting and instructions from Red Roo).

Not entirely sure I'm happy with the demarc lines on the wing tanks - I'll have a think about that - if it doesn't bug me too much they'll stay as is.

Apologies for the pics - the model looks better in the flesh! Honest! My point-and-shoot digital camera has no control over depth of field and I was relying on light in between passing rain clouds...

So now I need to complete the other two birds from the RNZAF as seen above - A-4E/F from the mid-70's in it's SEA livery and a A-4K post-upgrade. I still have plans for another single seater in the all green livery just before the strike wing was disbanded and another TA-4 I plan to do in the SEA livery - and then I think I'll be scootered out.

Cheers from NZ

Rob
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:24 AM UTC
Good looking bird

Build On,
Justin
nzgunnie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 09:36 PM UTC
One point to note, the fairings that the 20mm cannon barrels emerge from are entirely airframe colour. The flared section you have painted gun metal is actually part of the fairing, not the gun barrel, the gun barrel is only the smallest diameter secion. The blast deflector on the end of the barrel is a dull stainless colour.

Having fitted and removed many Colt 20mm Mk12 Mod 4 cannons from RNZAF Skyhawks, I know of what I speak!

On both your SEA and Euro1 aircraft, be aware the the LAU7 should have the ADU adapter between the LAU7 and the Aero20. In your photo it's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like the LAU7 is attached directly to the Aero20. The ADU is the part that has 'little wings' that the Aero20 sway braces bare down on, without the ADU there is no way to stop the launcher flopping around.

Those are only little details, the models look fantastic.

_GOTOTOP