_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Two seater campaign: WNW 1:32 Biff
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
OK, apparently I'm in! I'm doing the WNW 1/32 Bristol Fighter in 39 Home Defense Sqn. nightfighter markings. Man, these guys are good!

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 07:44 PM UTC
Welcome into the WNW hangar... you need your own tools but I'm sure Tea can be provided and Terri makes wicked cookies I heard

Nice choice of subject too, one I've fancied but shied away from since it's release (the airfix 1/72nd was one of the first kits I built as a pup.)

Keith
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi there

Please excuse the possible daft question, but what colour is the fuselage roundel? It's different in the artwork compared to the photo. In the latter, the outer ring is a different shade to the stripe and numeral. Or, conversely, what colour(s) were the stripe and number (there seems to be a hozontal line where the number crosses the stripe)? It can't all be blue, can it?

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Great to see this one being built. Welcome.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:01 AM UTC
I'm really looking to your build on this kit . Nice scheme as well , will look sharpe once you get to the stage of the build
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Please excuse the possible daft question, but what colour is the fuselage roundel? It's different in the artwork compared to the photo. In the latter, the outer ring is a different shade to the stripe and numeral. Or, conversely, what colour(s) were the stripe and number (there seems to be a hozontal line where the number crosses the stripe)? It can't all be blue, can it?

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

I don't think it's a daft question, I wonder about it myself! If any of the experts who may know more about it than me want to chime in here, I'd love to hear from you. If not, I'll probably go with WNW's choices since Ronny Bar is DEFINITELTY more of an expert than me!!

I have most of the cockpit together, I'll take some photos when the belts and the storage bag are installed.

Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:39 AM UTC

[/quote]

The blue on the cockades and rudder is lighter than the blue of the horizontal bar & #2. Often this was done to differentiate the unit colours.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the explanation. Do Wingnuts have the decals correct for this?

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen Thanks for the explanation. Do Wingnuts have the decals correct for this? All the best Rowan

It would seem they have attempted to show this. Check out the left profile view and compare the cockade to the #2. On my screen it looks almost perfect though I would probably go a shade darker on the bar & #2. Just my opinion.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

I imagine the original photo was shot on orthochromatic film, which would make the blues appear pale. The extent to which it would change the contrast between two shades of blue is harder to guess. If the blue used for the number and stripe was slightly translucent (which might account for the different effect where they meet, if one was painted over the other), it would appear darker due to the red pigment in the PC10 coming through.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen
I imagine the original photo was shot on orthochromatic film, which would make the blues appear pale. The extent to which it would change the contrast between two shades of blue is harder to guess. If the blue used for the number and stripe was slightly translucent (which might account for the different effect where they meet, if one was painted over the other), it would appear darker due to the red pigment in the PC10 coming through. All the best
Rowan

That is certainly one approach. Just remember that the paint in the field under various circumstances might not match the factory applied colours.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

Very true - and factory colours could vary considerably too, depending on the source, how they were applied and their condition. We're taking it as a given that the number and stripe were blue - is that confrmed (the Windscock caption I've read only says "could be blue..." and a/c #8 seems to have a darker stripe)?

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

Very true - and factory colours could vary considerably too, depending on the source, how they were applied and their condition. We're taking it as a given that the number and stripe were blue - is that confrmed (the Windscock caption I've read only says "could be blue..." and a/c #8 seems to have a darker stripe)?

All the best

Rowan

It is certainly the correct placement and proportion of the blue and of course matches the Orthochromatic representation of the BEF blue. We have the studies of reasearch fiend and historian Ian Huntley to thank for those observations.

One further note Panchromatic film was just coming into use and would represent the relative colours in different black & white tones from Orthochromatic.

Some airframes had the red & blue areas enlarged for night flying ops. This overlap painted out the white areas. In the case of this machine PC 10 or 12 was used to erase the white areas.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Cheers Stephen

I won't ask any more questions, because this is totally hijacking Michael's thread.

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Stephen

I won't ask any more questions, because this is totally hijacking Michael's thread.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

Cheers mate! That's what this is for!

Michael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi Michael:

Welcome and good luck with your build. As you know, this is a great site with great minds. I have one of these and will be looking forward to your techniques and observations.
Best

Mark
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
The cockpit ready to install in the fuslage. Personally I think it looks better in the photos than in person!

Preliminary test fitting shows it's gonna be a tight squeeze!

Tally ho!

Michael
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
Michael,
Great work so far my friend.I understand that the interior frame work is a very tight fit ,and wonder if your frame rigging will interfere with closing the fuselage.Keep up the great work.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" Still having trouble with Tribbles? "
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
Looking very nice so far Michael . I really like the rigging you did to the frame work . But I would have agree that it might have fit issue when the halves are joined . Have you test fitted yet ?

When I do this method for rigging the frame work notches are made on the back side so the lines sit in a V shape Grove making more flush with the surface .

Looking forward to your next up-date
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I do this method for rigging the frame work notches are made on the back side so the lines sit in a V shape Grove making more flush with the surface .

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that!? Really good idea Terri!

Luckily, in this case, it looks like things worked out all right. The fit problem was actually at the front of the cockpit, where the tank is, and I managed to "finess" (force) this.

The top decking is just set in place to see how it all looks. Not too bad at this point! More proof that Wingnut Wings kits are REALLY good!

Mike
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Nicely done Michael! I can see you are at a brisk walk on this.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Stephen,

Thank you very much, although sometimes I feel like it's a brisk "two step" (as in two steps back, one forward)

Gregory,

So far, no Tribble at all!

Michael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
It is coming along nicely. Good job on the interior and the interior rigging, I am going to try Terri's suggestion on the notching. Good job on the wood.

Take care

Mark
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
The story so far...

Bottom wing/landing gear attached, ready for a gloss coat. The engine is just sitting there, not installed yet:

Just for fun, the RR Falcon next to the RR Merlin from the Tamiya Spit.IX kit:

Not sure I'm gonna make it in time, but I'm working away at it!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP