_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/24 airfix hurricane
Dezzyno1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hello fellow modellers

i have just purchased an Airfix 1/24th scale Hawker Hurricane, the first i have ever attempted in this scale, has anyone else built this kit, if so did you have any trouble durin the build ?

Hopefully if all goes ok it will be my first of many 1/24th aircraft

cheers
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
Mate

No I have no experience with Airfix 1/24 planes - although I have drooled over them since I was 13 . (Well let's just say for a very long time)

All I can say is that you must have a huge display area if you are planning on doing a few of them. I've just "progressed" to 1/48 bombers - Lancaster, Wellington & Condor - and have absolutely no idea where I will fit them . I have a sneaky plan - but it could lead to the divorce court if I am not careful.

Brian
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:14 AM UTC
I think the Hurri was their best 1/24 kit until the Mossie arrived. The landing gear is a bit flimsy, so be careful there, but otherwise just test fit as you go and I think it'll turn out great! I've built a couple and have one in the stash.

My two sheckles worth!

Michael
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:16 AM UTC
I built that kit some years back and there are a few areas that Airfix had left off, which are in the cockpit framing and engine mounting frames.

stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the Hurri was their best 1/24 kit until the Mossie arrived.

Michael

I'll second that whilst knowing nothing about the Mosquito.
Steve
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:01 PM UTC
i got one of these kits for xmas, but i won't be building it until my new model room/workshop is built. i also bought the motor for the propellor, but i'm still in two minds whether to use it.
i,ve had a look around the internet for any aftermarket stuff and there seems to be surprisingly little,all i managed to find were a couple of decal sheets and a p/e seatbelt set.
........and if this build goes well the 1/24 stuka could well be in this years letter to santa!
Dezzyno1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:15 PM UTC
The kit certainly is a ripper, i havnt been able to find any P/E for this scale model and would love to have some seatbelts to add, i may just have to try and scratchbuild some, i also would love the Stuka almonkey but have had no luck in finding one for sale and as for a desplay cabinet to put them on well i will be in need of a new cabinet !!!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit certainly is a ripper, i havnt been able to find any P/E for this scale model and would love to have some seatbelts to add, i may just have to try and scratchbuild some, i also would love the Stuka almonkey but have had no luck in finding one for sale and as for a desplay cabinet to put them on well i will be in need of a new cabinet !!!

you're in luck! eduard do two sets of raf seatbelts in 1/24-
RAF WWII seatbelts late version
Manufacturer: Eduard
Code Number: ED23006
RAF WWII seatbelts early version
Manufacturer: Eduard
Code Number: ED23005
i'm not sure which one is appropriate for a MK1 hurricane though, but that should be easy enough to find out
 _GOTOTOP