_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
"By the Dawn's Early Light" - Nieuport 17s
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Well this is a piece that really just dropped out of left field... sort of. Actually, its been a vague idea in the back of my mind for a while now, but only in the past few weeks have I been able to really bring it to fruition.

Jump back for a moment to 2007. I was sketching out ideas for another Lafayette Escadrille piece. One of the ideas that I presented to the client involved a formation of Lafayette Escadrille SPADs flying along against a dawn sky. The client passed up on that one, but I liked the idea and so I kept it in the back of my head for future use.

Not long afterwards, my wife and I took a trip to San Diego. On the early morning flight out of Charlotte I turned and shot this great sunrise photo out the window of the airplane. Once I got back home I added it to my "background" files. I really liked the photo, but strangely enough, I made no mental connection between it and the LE sketch from a couple of months prior.

Fast forward to 2010. I recently started work on a series of small oil originals to sell and to add to my body of work. After tackling Richthofen's Albatros DII and an Etrich Taube I decided that the next aircraft I wanted to depict was a Nieuport 17. I chose Raoul Lufbery as my subject as he is one of my favorite pilots from WW1 and I had been wanting to use him as a subject for a long time. My plan was to make this a simple, small painting depicting the one aircraft against a nice backdrop.

I purchased the Academy 1/32 scale Nieuport 17 and took it out early in the morning for some reference shots. I got back home a began looking at the photos on my computer and suddenly remembered my sunrise background photo that I had taken 3 years prior.

Long story short - in a flurry of activity, I did some photo manipulation on my background photo and worked out the perspectives for not 1, but 3 Lafayette Escadrille N17s - Lufbery, Thaw and Hill. Furthermore, as I began work I realized that I had a a stretcher AND a frame that would fit these proportions... if I blew the image up to 40" x 18.5"! What had originally started out as a small quick project has quickly become a a large, involved project!

Well, I finished this one up last week. Somehow I managed to suppress my "shiny object syndrome" and stay focused long enough to crank this one out quickly so that it wouldn't interfere to badly will my other commitments.

By the Dawn's Early Light
Lafayette Escadrille members Lufbery, Thaw and Hill on a morning patrol over the Western Front, late autumn, 1916.
oil on linen
40" x 18.5"

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
Beautiful done Russell
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
Wow! I want that one!
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thanks Terri & Stephen!
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
Totally WOW!

Is this a combination of a photo background and a painted aircraft, or is the background also painted?

I am curious because, I have scanned a drawing onto a photo. and achieved a somewhat extremely amaturist type of rendition.

Just curious
Captn Tommy
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
I've taken a much closer look and see you painted that backgound. WOW! again that is really really impressive. Air planes I can do, backgrounds... not yet.

Captn Tommy

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:41 AM UTC
Beautifully done. Thanks for posting it.

Did you ever think of doing box art for models? I think the manufacturers would be lucky to have you doing their art.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Awesome work Russell, I love it !!

Cheers, D
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:32 PM UTC
Outstanding as always Russel! Beautiful!! Remember if you ever make a trip up the hill to Boone you have a standing invitation for a Beer and WW1 chat!
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP