_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Albatros panel lines
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:21 AM UTC
Well i have my hands on a new WingNuts Albatros DV,DVa
and reading some of the builds going on here i have a question, building WW2 aircraft modellers want recessed panel lines on their model kits, even though you will be hard pushed to see them on the real thing,
On the site of The VintageAvitator.co.nz who have built a full size flying Albatros, couldn't help notice there are no panel lines on the fusealage, as the plywood is glued and nailed, so to get the same effect i would have to fill in the ones on the WingNuts kit,
Now are the panel lines moulded on the plastic because its easier to do than nail lines,
Am' i worrying over nothing and just build it as it is!
It is a wonderful kit, even after paying extra to bring into the U.K
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
There are panel lines on the TVAL D.Va. They are not filled in with glue or putty. That being said, the WNW panel lines are not totally accurate either. The fuselage on the real thing was covered with 3 ply plywood. The plywood would have been butted up as close as possible to the neighboring piece. Manufacturers usually just represent this as a line in the plastic. This is a very simplified answer, but I hope it helps. James Fahey has a set of pictures here shoing the TVAL Albie. That should help a bit. I bumped it forward for you.

As for your querry on what you should do. I would just leave the panel lines as they are. Painting fills them in a bit. If you use oils, that should create quite a realistic finish over the panel lines.

I know I have seen you around here a little bit, but you are still a little bit of a neophyte, so welcome. We hope to see you here a little bit more. You should join the Group Build. We would love to have you.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Got to agree with Carl...on all points bar one...the panels overlapped in places, if you look close the central panel from top to bottom is lapped and nailed over the top and bottom ones, not something I am correcting in this build..LOL
But Keith do join the GB we need more Keiths

Keith
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys for information, i am as you say a newbie! been building dare i say it r/c boats for few years, then any Luftwaffe aircraft i got my hands on, now feeling the pull by to lightside, and getting back into WWI, i don't claim to be a great modeller more below average, as i never seem to learn from my mistakes, and in awe as to some of you builds, but i think i will wait a bit to see what decal sets WingNuts bring out, as can't make my mind up which scheme to do!

So in the mean time honing my skills building some Eduard 1/48th's till feel ready to start the biggy, but when i do, i will take photos!
cheers keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 09:02 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Just a heads up. The panel joints had the mating edges beveled so there would be a slight overlap. these joints had fabric strips glued to the internal faces and the panels no matter where the joint fell were nailed and screwed to the skeletal former stations.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
Stephen, Didn't they put the plywood on one ply at a time?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jokes...then it would be laminated not ply?....ducks and runs
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not according to the records available. It was 2 & 3 mm ply cut into panels and steam heated in forms.

Now if you mean "one ply panel at a time". No the panels were set up on forms in a series. Left side, right side and glued together with the fabric strips. Then they were attached screwed and nailed.

Next the top and bottom series were flexed or bowed and popped into place. (Thats why the grain always ran from fore to aft - nose to tail on all panels.) Then they were nailed and screwed in place. Take a look at the TVAL images Jamo posted. By each fuselage former / station at the rear edge is a lighter band about 2.5 inches wide running top to bottom. - that is the fabric strip glued to the rear of the panels and is partially trapped by the former.

_GOTOTOP