_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Advice needed.....
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
I`m currently building Revell`s 1/32nd scale F-4 Phantom and am about to glue the wings to the fuselage,is there a way to glue these together without making a mess of either.
The join is one where the fuselage drops between the upper wing halves but on top of the lower wing section.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
I should think it would be simply a matter of applying glue sparingly to the mating surfaces (I'd use the inner ends of the upper wings) and introducing the one to the other. Is there a particular problem with this kit?
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I should think it would be simply a matter of applying glue sparingly to the mating surfaces (I'd use the inner ends of the upper wings) and introducing the one to the other. Is there a particular problem with this kit?

Nothing unusual,it`s just that it`s such a large kit any fowl-ups are gonna be glaringly obvious
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Well, the F-4 is kind to the modeller because its wing is right at the bottom of the fuselage; but even then there's two approaches to this. One is to attach the underside of the wing to the fuselage, then attach the upper wing panels. The other is to assemble all the wing panels together and then attach the whole lot to the fuselage. Neither is a problem from the dihedral-setting point of view because of the wing geometry - so you can choose according to how well the parts fit. The easiest way to do that is to assemble them in both orders, using tape (and pulling gaps shut as tightly as you can), and seeing which leave the least cleaning up.
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice Sean,I`ll give your suggestions a try.I`ve learned to ask questions here as the advice given is always first class,just goes to prove you`re never too old to learn.
 _GOTOTOP