_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
NEWS
1:32 New T-33A Shooting Star
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC

MMD Squadron have sent us some images of the new 1:32 scale Czech Model T-33A Shooting Star kit. This is the 2-seat jet trainer aircraft developed from the P/F-80 fighter.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc
That looks fantastic. Panel lines look good as do the undercarriage bays and resin bits. It's nice to see some photos of the model being built on the instruction sheet that will be a great help when building. A very topical theme depicted on the cover in view of the volcanic activity last week!
Thanks.
tim
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Greece had plenty of them until they retired in 1990

Cheers Nick
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hmmm.. Wouldn't catch me flying that close to an erupting volcano, but I digress! Looks like either Czech Model have taken inspiration from Wingnut's Instructions or vice versa..
jrheilig
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
I've been going over the kit with the proverbial fine-toothed comb. Preface everything I'm going to say with "this is a really nice kit!" - and one I'm ecstatic that Squadron/CM has brought out. I'm just pointing out some minor stuff that I've come across for the nitpickers among us.

1. Late model USAF birds had a different main wheel hub. It was nearly flat, and didn't have any kind of spokes at all. It looks similar to an F-106 main wheel (was it the same wheel??).

2. Late model USAF birds had the pitot tubes (2 instead of 1) mounted up on the sides of the fuselage aft of the gun access panels. Early ones had an L shaped pitot under the nose as does the kit.

3. The NACA scoops on the gun access panels are not present on many T-33s. I'm glad they put them there, but be aware you need to remove them for many a/c.

4. As I think has been noted, and according to an ex-T-33 pilot I know, the T-bird was *always* parked with the flaps extended and the air brakes open. Gently, gently prod Harold in the ribs guys!

5. There is no trim tab on the trailing edge of the rudder in the kit. There should be. But being as you'll need to drastically thin down the rudder t/e anyway, it's easy to add.

6. Contrary to pronouncements by 'experts', the tip tanks are exactly the right length and diameter, and the curves and straightaways are exactly where they should be. This is based on detailed measurements of the actual tank provided to me by Bruce Radebaugh. End of conversation on that.

Here's the thread on ARC about the kit and my findings on the rudder chord:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=209132

J
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi Jennings

First off, welcome to Aeroscale if I haven't already said so!

A little bird tells me there will be a Dual F-80/T-33 Build coming up on Aeroscale very soon. Basically, Jean-Luc will be building the T-33 while I tackle Squadron's previous F-80. I think it's fair to say it'll be uncharted territory for both of us, so your (and others') input will very much appreciated to steer us home safely.

All the best

Rowan
jrheilig
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
No worries Rowan. I'm no expert, but I have a fair bit of T-bird data. There are a number of small detail differences to be found on various T-33s, so the time frame and user of a given airframe will dictate what you need to do.

Here's the image of the T-33 tail showing the small problem with the kit's rudder chord. The kit outline is in white. Not a huge deal, but if your bird has checkers or other designs on the rudder, it won't work right the way the kit is made. For most a/c it won't matter though.

J

Photo copyright by me
Elmendorf AFB, Alaska May 1985

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi again

Have I read right elsewhere that the nosewheel is mounted the wrong way round on the F-80 kit? Is this also true for the T-33, or did Squadron catch it on the second release? It sounds an easy fix, but a real clanger to have missed when you post finished pics!

All the best

Rowan
jrheilig
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:01 AM UTC
They fixed it on the T-33. SAC also makes cast metal gear for the F-80/T-33.

J
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

4. As I think has been noted, and according to an ex-T-33 pilot I know, the T-bird was *always* parked with the flaps extended and the air brakes open. Gently, gently prod Harold in the ribs guys!

Hmmm.. None of the aircraft I have flown have asked for the flaps to be extended after you have landed, in fact most of them ask for the flaps to be retracted as soon as possible to stop possible damage to them from FOD. But I have never flown a T-33 so who knows, maybe the pilots squadron had a local order covering the lowering of the flaps for some reason.

99.9% of the pictures I have seen of T-33s on the ground show the flaps extended.. Only time I have seen them extended on the ground is when someone is in the cockpit. Maybe Czech Model is correct...
 _GOTOTOP