_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
F-86F metal finish
whiterook
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
Flyboys:
OK I can't camo my jet so I have to give it a metal finish.I don't own a a/b and I know I can't use a brush,so I'll be using a spray can. What brand is best for this job, and if its a special brand were do I find it. What would be best 4 a under coating.
Thank You

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
:-) Hi whiterook,
I am experimenting with kitchen foil for bare metal finishes, but for a novice at the BMF, without an airbrush, I would suggest automotive spray paint. I use grey or white plastic primer, found in British automotive store. I would use the grey as an undercoat, then use auto silver. In the UK Nissan silver is very good. You could mask of a few panels and spray different silvers. After applying the primer smooth it down with 0000 wire wool. When using silver seams must be perfect, otherwise they will stand out like a sore thumb :-)
Have fun
Mal
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
Testors Metalizers come in rattle-cans and are available from on-line stores, and most Hobby shops. Does your 86 HAVE to be one use in Korea? I have a profile of a Grey/green camouflaged (similar to RAF camo att) F-86F Which flew with USAFE in 1956.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
The Scorpian photo I put on your earlier post is Testor's Rattle Can Metalizer.
I also have some photos of an F-86 in Camo serving with the Post War Luftwaffe.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
ModelMaster Buffing Aluminum in a spray can works well. I did a couple ANG museum pieces with this and they looked pretty good. The only problems are fingerprints and getting the stuff on the decals.
whiterook
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
Sergeant crs:
I don't know what picture your talking about, are you sure you had the right thread?
ZoomieE7--Yes I want it to be in Korea. Thanks anyway.

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
Sorry CAP thought it was your post earlier. That's why the crs label "Can't Remember S---".
Anyway this Scorpian is Testor Metalizer " Buffing" Rattle Can covered, notice the difference in the panel textures, done by buffing to various degrees and using some polishing compound.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Hi whiterook,
I am experimenting with kitchen foil for bare metal finishes, but for a novice at the BMF, without an airbrush, I would suggest automotive spray paint. I use grey or white plastic primer, found in British automotive store. I would use the grey as an undercoat, then use auto silver.
Mal

Hi Holdfast:
Is it necesary to give a primer coat when you will use a metalizer paint ? I read somewhere that it´s better no to use it because the plastic has a better (smooth) surface than the paint. Is this true ? What is the reason of the primer in this case ?
I´m building a F 84G and I will use Model Master Metalizers. I will appreciate your advice
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it necesary to give a primer coat when you will use a metalizer paint ? I read somewhere that it´s better no to use it because the plastic has a better (smooth) surface than the paint. Is this true ? What is the reason of the primer in this case ?
I´m building a F 84G and I will use Model Master Metalizers. I will appreciate your advice

Do not use a primer for MM Metalizers, for the exact reason you not. Primer has a rough surface to allow later coats better adhession. Metalizer pprovides an extremely thin coat which will show the primer's texture, spoling hte effect of the metal finish. In fact, it would be best to polish the plastic with ultra fine polishing pads for the best effect. Further, Metalizer is a relatively hot laquer based paint and as such will bite quite well into the plastic. It's this feature that precludes its being brushed on in any but the smallest areas.

What holdfast is talking about is automotive paint, not metalizer. That's a whole different type of paint, hence the need for primer, since auto paint is even [i] hotter [/] than Metalizer and could damage styrene, even if sprayed on.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thank you AJLaFleche
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
Further info on the F-86 colors can be found here http://f-86.tripod.com/colours333.html " TARGET="_blank"> http://f-86.tripod.com/colours333.html . You'll note only the H model had SEA camo applied.
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
Couple of photos of a privately owned F86(?) were taken a year or two ago. What a beautiful aircraft and man did she scream! Remember this baby Al?

Hope that they help some...

AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember this baby Al?

Oh, yeah, I remember that bird. I think I took the same pics you did. :-) The finish is so shiny you could use it as a shaving mirror!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
:-) csch

Quoted Text

Hi Holdfast:

If you are going to use automotive spray paints then I would suggest a primer. I would actually personally use a primer if I was using any metalizer. Al is correct about the texture but I use 0000 wire wool to smooth it and it will be smoother than the plastic.

I will continue this later, the internet cafe is closing

EDIT (from my own PC :-) ).
I have just re-read Al's post and bow to his greater knowledge of Metalizers. So don't use a primer with metalizers. One reason for using a primer is to highlight any problem areas, seams not filled, scratches etc. It is worth noting though that it is possible to polish primer to a smooth, glossy finish using a polishing kit. I am actually in the process of writing an article about applying kitchen foil and will be using auto primer polished in this way.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP