_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-15 Kits or MIG-29?
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC
I think I will be pursuing my first aircraft kit since the age of 10 (21 years old now) as I primarily build armor. So after I build all my armor kits for the summer I plan on delving into an F-15 or MIG-29 or both . Any suggestions as to what kits build great OOB.

Thanks!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hey Sean for the F-15 most will say go with the Hasegawa boxing. I say go with the Revell F-15E Strike Eagle. It builds well and it’s pretty close to accurate. The ACES II seats are the best in plastic released and the instrument/panels are very precise. The high light of the kits are their exhaust cans, consisting of 23 parts including the actuating rods.

If I know you you’ll get a boat load of aftermarket details which will set it off nicely.

F-15 aftermarket

As for the MIG-29 well I can't help you out here...but can i suggest looking into the SU-27...now there's a kit. I have the Academy one which I only looked over but I can say I heard good things. I hope to build mine by summer's end.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 07:18 PM UTC
Yeah the SU-27 was on my radar as well. I'll look into it.
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 07:23 PM UTC
Just read what you wrote haha. Aftermarket parts will be out of the question for this one. Maybe decals at the most.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Sean

If you want to go without After market stuff I would also recommend the F-15E from Revell.

For F-15Cs Hasegawa is the way to go. Academys MiG-29 is the only game in town at the moment, but you need a new deeper cockpit and the burnercans could also profit from a replacement...

all the best

Steffen
markske
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:18 PM UTC
I will go for the mig.
A lot of countrys have the Fulcrum in sevice.
but a SU-27 is a nice plane and nice camos.

Mark
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
Assuming you're looking at 1:48, I'll add my vote for the Revell F-15E. It's a great kit OOB, builds into very accurate model, and you really can't beat the price. It would be a good choice for your first Eagle.

Academy's MiG-29 is a solid, buildable kit, but suffers from a host of inaccuracies. You could build it right out of the box with a little tuning and have a decent model (you know, it looks like a MiG-29). Some AM would help with the cockpit and burner cans, but it will still need work on the nose shape and loadout. If you're interested in doing some work on the kit, take a look at this.

I know you didn't specifically mention F-16s, but if you're looking for great kits OOB, the 1:48 Tamiya Vipers are hard to beat. If you're not dead set on the MiG or Eagle, you might want to check them out.

HTH.

-YL
 _GOTOTOP