_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help with unusual instrument panel please
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC
I'm hoping some of you very knowledgeable chaps can help me with finding an Eduard colour instrument panel that might be a close-ish match to this one?

This instrument panel is from a Vietnam era US hovercraft known as a PACV you can see more detailed shots of the panel here. I am in the process of making a 1/35th kit of this hovercraft (you can see my efforts to date here ) and I would like to use an eduard colour PE instrument panel to add a bit of detail but which one would be best? I'm guessing I should use a 1/32nd scale one but any suggestions as to which would be a close-ish match to this in 1/35th?
I hope all this makes sense?
Cheers
David
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi David

I wouldn't try to modify an existing instrument panel - instead, I'd go for individual bezels and instrument faces to get the layout correct.

Great Models sell Waldron sets.

Mike Grant instrument decals are excellent.

All the best

Rowan
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC
In the pre-digital days, Peter Cooke discovered that a 35mm negative was exactly the right width to fit into a 1/24 cockpit, so he drew his instruments, in proportion and in black, onto a sheet of white paper, photographed it, then used the negative on a backing of white plasticard, since the "black" numbers, pointers, etc., being clear, showed up as white.
Personally, I'd scratchbuild my panel to its exact size, without instruments, switches, etc., photograph (or photocopy) it, enlarge it by say 10x, draw in the pointers, numbers, etc., then re-photograph it, reverse the black and white images, in your computer, and then print it off to your original dimensions. As far as I can see, it should work.
Edgar
dobon68
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 392 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
Rowan and Edgar thanks for the replies and ideas.
When I read your's Edgar a little light when on in my head and I opened up the photo in photoshop adjusted it until I was happy with the look, then shrank it down to the size I wanted and printed it out on photo paper, stuck that onto plastic card and I now have my instrument panel exactly as it should be
Thanks for your help
David
 _GOTOTOP