_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Jaguar GR1 Which is best.
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi all
I want to do a GR1 for the CAS campaign and was wondering which one was best for detail and ease of assembly the Hasegawa or Revell version or are they the same kit ?

TIA

Brian
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 07:08 PM UTC
This is only speculation but I suspect that Italeri and Revell are the same. I have the Italeri kit and I have built the Hasegawa, the difference in quality is minuscule so I think you can pick either of them with confidence! I think there is a bit more armament and options in the Revell/Italeri kit though.

The Revell kit is reviewed here. There is no conclusion if this is the Italeri kit or not, I personally think it is based on the photos!

Magnus
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks for that Magnus.
That could save me a few pounds.
As the Revell and Hasegawa kits seem very close to each other do you think I could adapt the Eduard etch sets for the Hasegawa kit to fit the Revell/Italeri kit ?

Brian
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Brian
There is also the Airfix 1/72 Jaguar as well. I am just looking at it now, it's accurate in shape, but the panel lines are not recessed. The joins will need some attention. The canopy is very good and you have two of them included one closed and the other in two pieces to display the canopy open. Cockpit detail is non existant, but boxed in with a bang seat and pilot figure to fill the area. Included is one centre line fuel tank and 8x1000lb bombs. Shallow exhaust ducts. The undercarriage is not bad at all, the wheels are nicely detailed. There you go a quick review. Hope this helps.
tim
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 09:19 PM UTC
H Brian
The Airfix Jaguar's fuselage and wings taped together. Looking at some of the plastic surfaces it is very shiny, but a little undulating in parts. No big problem if you are planning to get rid of the raised detail. But it does add to the amount of time you will spend on it. Oh and the airbrakes are nicely done.

Photobucket

tim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that Magnus.
That could save me a few pounds.
As the Revell and Hasegawa kits seem very close to each other do you think I could adapt the Eduard etch sets for the Hasegawa kit to fit the Revell/Italeri kit ?

Brian

Hi Brian!

1) I think that an Eduard set will fit the Italeri/Revell kit without too much trouble. And since the Eduard sets are usually crammed full or both odds and ends I think that if there are a few parts that don't fit you can simply throw them away without anyone noticing !
2) The Revell kit is a re-boxed Italeri without doubt. I took out my Italeri-kit from the stash and compared the sprues with the photos from the link above: they are exactly the same.

Since I had the kit out for an airing anyway, I took a few photos of the sprues:

Nicely engraved wing and instrument panel.

Landing gear and rear end of fuselage.

Cockpit bathtub. Not bad at all...

Winders and weapons pylons! There is a whole score of unpleasant-looking explosives included, just the kind of stuff you really need below the wings of a Jaguar. And this is an area where Hasegawa usually falls short even if their Jaguar doesn't display the same glaring emptiness when it comes to weapons as their more modern offerings!

Pick you choice! Since I haven't built the Italeri kit I don't know how well it goes together but it does at least look very promising in the box!

Magnus
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi Magnus
Thanks for the photos. I have found them interesting and they look a great deal better than the Airfix offering, although it wont put me of building it. I need a couple of more Jags and I will go for the revell ones next time. Thanks again Magnus.
tim
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi Magnus & Tim.
Thanks for all the info.
Looks like the Revell kit is the one as it is half the price of the Hasagawa kit. Plus my LHS (200 meters away) has the Revell in stock for only £6.99.
Now to pop down at lunch time and pick one up.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP