_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Junkers J.I
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hello everyone. Back with another n00b question. The small photo etch tabs that go on the tailplane of the J.1, how are they supposed to be orientented? I have looked all over but can't find any really clear pictures. The have a pattern on one side and are plain on the other, but apart from seeing that they are at different angles I can't work it out.

Anyone else have trouble with the exhaust fowling the cowling?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
Note the tabs you mention tend to protect hinged areas. The will be at roughly the same angles as those on the wing ailerons. As to the exhaust you may want to check with some of the J.I builders here and their threads.
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
have you had a look on the Wingnut Wings Archive photos page of the Junkers?

I think this is what you looking for -

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Yes, I saw that picture, but it still doesn't show which side the engraved lines go on... I think I will build a bridge and get over this AMS rubbish I seem to be afflicted with at the moment..
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I saw that picture, but it still doesn't show which side the engraved lines go on... I think I will build a bridge and get over this AMS rubbish I seem to be afflicted with at the moment..

Flat side goes to the rear. Corrugated side to the front. Note the that the horizontal tail unit on this a/c appears to be fabric coveres and not corrugated.

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks for that. That is how I ended up installing them. I am sorry but I have one more query, all the other WNW models I have have rigging diagrams. Now I know the J.1 had no wing rigging, but it did have external control cable runs in places and I was wondering if there was a diagram somewhere that may give all the runs?

Thanks in advance.
 _GOTOTOP