1:72 Revell Hawker Hurricane MK IIc
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi all,

After being recomended as a nice kit I picked one up this morning.

I'm going to make the effort to have this as my first proper blog!

Well here is the kit:

Not sure what markings to go with yet the kit gives two options:

1. no. 28 squadron, RAF South East Asia Command, Dalbumghar,India, 1944

2. No. 336 Squadron, Desert Air Force RAF, Mersa Matruh, Egypt, 1944.

Hoping on making a start on this within the next couple of days. Does anyone have any links to any info on the MK IIc?

Thanks,
Philip
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi Philip,

I'm supposed to be making this kit soon too for the Aces High campaign. I am going to use the night intruder of Kuttelwascher.

If you don't fancy either of the kit schemes, I have the remainder of the TechMod sheet I won't ever use. See the list here: http://www.techmod.pl/aviation-72/72073-hawker-hurricane-iic PM me your address if one takes your fancy.

Good luck!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 08:41 AM UTC
Good luck with it! Looks you have a better than average cockpit to start with.
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Philip,

I'm supposed to be making this kit soon too for the Aces High campaign. I am going to use the night intruder of Kuttelwascher.

If you don't fancy either of the kit schemes, I have the remainder of the TechMod sheet I won't ever use. See the list here: http://www.techmod.pl/aviation-72/72073-hawker-hurricane-iic PM me your address if one takes your fancy.

Good luck!

THanks for the kind offer PM sent. Kuttelwascher's night intruder is as worthy as model subject as any! Never heard of him before I must admit but a little googling has filled me in!

Quoted Text

Good luck with it! Looks you have a better than average cockpit to start with.

Its definately better than the Airfix one, The seat has the harness moulded on and they dont look that good. I'm going to try and make my own Sutton harness from masking tape as detailed HERE. I've found a couple of good photos of the cockpitt so I'm going to try and add a bit more detail in there!

Thanks,
Philip
Removed by original poster on 05/19/10 - 01:04:01 (GMT).
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:16 PM UTC
I have been working away with this kit and got a nice bit of progress.

Here is the scheme I'm trying to recreate:

My pictures aren't very good. Having to take them with my phone as my partner has taken the camera on holiday with her.

Sutton harness made from tamiya tape. Easier than I thought to do actually! They're not the best but deffinately better than the moulded on detail.

After a trip into Hannants to get paints I need to paint this as Desert Air Force Hurricane I realised I forgot the Interrior Green. I've Heard Vallejo 920 German WWII uniform is pretty close. Thats what I used? what do you Think?

Spent most of the evening filling and sanding down the gaps, should be able to get some primer on tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks,
Philip.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:49 PM UTC
I will be watching this intently. I have a Revell Hurricane stated for the same paint scheme
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be watching this intently. I have a Revell Hurricane stated for the same paint scheme

Glad to have you on board Dirk!

Some progress:

I'm still a novice at filling seams and have tried with Squadron putty before but just made a mess. I did these ones with Mr. Surfacer. I got good results but not quite perfect. oh well maybe on the next build...

I couldn't get the 5 section bottom part of the wing to line up leaving a rather noticable step...

RAF Azure Blue applied and masked ready for the RAF Middle stone on the top surfaces.

RAF Middle Stone applied.

Right now i'm masking the top with Blu-Tac to get the RAF Dark Earth on. This seems pretty tricky after trying a bit.

Next I'm tackling the Italian camo on the nose and leading edges. I'm udecided whether I should paint the green first then use Blu-Tac for masking the squigles and spray it tan. Or I should just paint the squigles with a brush? I don't think I'll be able to do them with the airbrush Any Ideas?

The colours I'm using for the Italian camo are:

XtraColor X145 FS10400 Tan
XtraColor X205 RLM 71 Dunkelgrun

Sound OK?

Thanks,
Philip
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Philip,

Looking great. I've not built mine yet, but the five part wing does look a bit troublesome. I find I hardly ever get all the seams right the first time round with filler, and always have to do at least a second round of filler. One thing I have recently discovered is that I was using too fine a sand paper initially, and not taking off enough material, before dropping to the polishing stick grades. So I have nice and smooth, but slightly proud, filler strips over joins. I now go quite roughly over with 400 grit, before dropping to the finer grades.

I would go for your first option for the squiggles- paint the green, then mask with blu-tac worms, and spray the beige.

As for the colours, I have no idea. As there is no colour photos of this aircraft (that I know of), and the fact that it is unlikely the British had the exact italian paint colour available, it is always open to question exactly what shades were used. No-one can prove you wrong whatever colours you use!
AirLedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi,

Looking good so far. I did the Revell kit a while back here here

All the best,

Mike.
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Philip,
I find I hardly ever get all the seams right the first time round with filler, and always have to do at least a second round of filler. One thing I have recently discovered is that I was using too fine a sand paper initially, and not taking off enough material, before dropping to the polishing stick grades. So I have nice and smooth, but slightly proud, filler strips over joins. I now go quite roughly over with 400 grit, before dropping to the finer grades.

I started out with 1500 grit and I wasn't getting anywhere, I see that you used 400 grit in your Typhoon thread and tired that. Much better as you say!

Mike, your Hurricane (and Spitfire) looks great!

Ive been quite busy on this over the last couple of days, well as fast as I can because the enamels take years to dry! I prefer acrylics just for this alone.

Here we are all masked out ready the RAF Dark Earth.

And here it is after the Blu-Tac has been removed and the green sprayed on to the areas that are going to be in Itallian Camo.

The Blu-Tac worked great but I need some more practice to get it down. some of the edges are a bit soft and square.

Presently I have a lot of little Blu-Tac sussages ready to put over the green.

More Tomorrow,
Philip.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Nice progress Philip! Looking forward to seeing it after the masking comes off.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 11:26 AM UTC
Looks good.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 12:29 AM UTC
Any progress on this build Philip?
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any progress on this build Philip?

Unfortunately not Ben. Still have my Blu-Tac sausages ready to be applied.

A combination of starting a new job and couple of campaigns I am involved in over at Armorama that have crept up on me have taken all of my available time.

I hope to get this back on track very soon!

Thanks,
Philip.
 _GOTOTOP