_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Lots of campaigns
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:14 PM UTC
Have I missed something while I was away ?
I thought there was only going to be about 5 campaigns running at a time, but there is 10 running now, 11 waiting in the wings, with another 3 awaiting approval.
Don't get me wrong, I like campaigns, but I feel this is way too many running at any one time.
Thoughts on this.
Andy
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Andy, evidently not....Rock On!
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC
It is a lot indeed...

that said, not only are there many, but they are also quite unbalanced, focussing mostly on the Cold War era or before - either because of specific aeroplane type, or because it is more or less dictated by the theme in combination with the kits available (see for instance twin boom, or aces high, or pearly harbour)...

If one is serious about reducing the number of campaigns running at the same time, then one has to make sure there is something there at virtually all times for all tastes... currently those who like modern aircraft seem to have a much harder time finding a campaign of their liking, without having to go out and look and buy a new kit for a specific purpose (if they can find one in the first place)...

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
uhh, one could always just build a kit of their choosing. Not having a campaign to support what I want to build has never stopped me from building..."Q"
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all

I'm not a big airplane builder so take this with a grain of salt. I like the way the campaigns have evolved. There is something for everyone and I like looking at what everyone is building.

I guess if we wanted to keep campaigns to a minimum we could do a "Things with Wings" campaign. When that's over we could do a "Things with Wings II", "Things with Wings III"...

I only plan on building three airplanes in the next year so I like the fact they fit into a campaign. That's my 2 cents worth.

Y'all take care,
Don "Lakota"
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi Andy. I don't see the harm in having a few Campaigns running. If somebody has a kit they want to build, or a theme they want to explore, why not put it out there and see if there are a few others of like minds. If there are a few more and a time frame can be agreed on, fire it up !! If not, it falls flat on its face.

I also learn a lot from Campaign members having a number of similar builds going on simultaneously, and in a focussed thread so they are easy to find. There is also the group research aspect, check out the P-40 Workhorse threads and what Mark (md72) has put together as a resource database.

I suppose one negative aspect is that it's hard to say no, and there is a tendency to enlist in several Campaigns at the same time (I'm certainly guilty there), which can lead to rushing a build and probably not getting the most enjoyment or the best finish that you could otherwise.

At the end of the day it comes down to self-discipline, of which I unfortunately have very little.

There it is, my 2 cents.

Cheers, D
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
You dont have to enter every campaign theres my Quarters worth.

Build On,
Justin
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
A problem would be if many committed to Campaigns and then backed-out leaving only a few to complete it.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
I'm with Damian. Self control isn't my strong suit. If I finish all of the builds I actually signed up for, it'll be my most prolific modeling year in decades. I've dropped on on a couple of group build start ups just to see what's going on and I've met some fun folks.

OTOH, it's kind of a shove to actually get something done instead of thinking about how great it's gonna be if I finish.

Pleading total ignorance, what is "management's" goal with group builds and the timing of them?
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 09:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies Guys.
Anthony (Tojo72) hit the nail on the head with his comment.

Quoted Text

A problem would be if many committed to Campaigns and then backed-out leaving only a few to complete it.

I would (personally) like to see fewer campaigns with a higher rate of finishing, then lots of campaigns with only a couple of builds done. It must be quite dispiriting for the campaign leaders to only get two or three completed models for their campaign.
I used to be as guilty as anyone, entering near enough every campaign going and not completing them, still managed to build a few though .
But nowadays I only enter a campaign that I am pretty sure to finish (only in one campaign at the moment and that's on Historicus Forma).

Quoted Text

Pleading total ignorance, what is "management's" goal with group builds and the timing of them?

Err no idea .
Andy
 _GOTOTOP