_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
applying future to a canopy question...
Metal_blast
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hello

I don't frequent the aeroscale forums that often (I'm more of an armor builder) Nevertheless, I have a question about applying future. So I'm at the point where the canopy is masked off and the painting is completed on the airframe. My question is, if I apply future to the whole airframe, including the canopy and then apply a flat base (i.e. Vallejo's MATTE VARNISH 059) will the future coat be dulled on the canopy?

From the builds I've seen in magazines, etc., most builders leave the whole canopy off and then glue it on at the last step; others leave it on like me (for a closed canopy finish), while others do a mix and match.

Thank you
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 08:03 PM UTC
Normally canopies are polished to a completely pristine finish, otherwise the pilot is likely to take evasive action, due to a scratch on the glass; leave it glossy.
Edgar
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello

I don't frequent the aeroscale forums that often (I'm more of an armor builder) Nevertheless, I have a question about applying future. So I'm at the point where the canopy is masked off and the painting is completed on the airframe. My question is, if I apply future to the whole airframe, including the canopy and then apply a flat base (i.e. Vallejo's MATTE VARNISH 059) will the future coat be dulled on the canopy?

yes it will be dulled

Quoted Text

From the builds I've seen in magazines, etc., most builders leave the whole canopy off and then glue it on at the last step; others leave it on like me (for a closed canopy finish), while others do a mix and match.

Thank you

i don't; I fix the canopy before painting when it is a closed one, and i also fix it with less adhesive glue if it has to be an open canopy.

I find that the finish is more realistic this way, otherwise it looks like the canopy is assembeld after painting which i guess is not the case in real life

i future and dull mask the planes with the canopy still masked, then i remove the mask en use a brush to add future to the clear part of the canopy to brighten it up
 _GOTOTOP