_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Mig-17 bail out
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
While waiting for some paint to dry on another project this past Monday, I got the idea to do another in flight scene similar to my F-105G over on the Modern forums. I thought I would add a little more drama to it by adding some battle damage and the pilot ejecting from his stricken craft. I scavenged a pilot from another kit, and hacked him up to fit the DML seat. Added a couple of should straps, scratch built some new arms for the pilot and I was in business. I used sewing thread to open up the left side speed brake which I wanted partially deployed along with the left side main landing gear. I thinned the inner portions of the fuselage until I could easily see through them. I them assembled the kit pretty much OOB with the exception of my previously mentioned cuts. I covered the thinned areas with foil, and then painted the entire plane in Tamiya Silver Leaf. I added the dark green camo after this, followed by a good gloss coat in preparation for the decals. The decals were then sealed with a flat coat. Using a new #11 blade, I found the previously thinned areas and gouged away some of the area to represent some serious damage to the plane. I did the same thing to the right wing area. Using some thinned down flat black, I streaked smoke towards the rear of the plane.
The flames were made using cotton soaked in a water and white glue mixture, then shaped and allowed to dry overnight. I painted the red, yellow, and black before installing with a small drop of CA just aft of the hole in the fuselage.
I added a brass rod to my pilots bangseat, painted it light gray, then glued some more cotton from the seat stretching down into the cockpit. I added a slight bend to the rod to allow for the pilots rearward travel once he had cleared the windscreen area.
This whole thing took me all of a few hours spread over 3 days and was lot of fun. I am waiting on some clear acrylic rod to finish the display which will feature the plane/pilot postioned over a map of Taiwan. In 1958 the PRC, flying Mig-17's and the ROC(Taiwan) flying F-86's tangled over the Straight of Tawian. The F-86's and their sindwinders proved to be more than a match for the Mig's, hence the little story told in the display once complete.
Thanks for looking. "Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC
Matthew, nice job on the real looking scene. Do you have more on the incident?

Bob
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
Nice one Matthew, I like the partially dropped undercarriage, poor Mig . I'm sure the pilot lived to fight another day. Thanks for posting
tim
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
BRAVO, That is fantastic!!!!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matthew, nice job on the real looking scene. Do you have more on the incident? Bob

Thanks for the kudos Bob. As to the incident involving the PRC and ROC what info I found was pulled from Wiki, (not the best source I know), but it provided enough info for me to work with. Would be too lengthy to post here, but if you google Straits of Taiwan Crisis 1958, it will provide several accounts of what happened. It dates back to 1949 when it all started and I believe goes through the late 50's before it finally ended.
Hope this helps. Thanks, "Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
I've never seen a scene like that under scale

Great

The think that the think I "don't like" it's that the aircraft should be an USAF F-4 (Anti-american )

Cheers Nick
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
Very interest and original Matthew. A very nice job
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
I agree Matthew! Very unique. Combat damage is hard to do but you pulled it off well! Good job. Russell
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The think that the think I "don't like" it's that the aircraft should be an USAF F-4 (Anti-american )

How about I build a Greek F-4 getting flamed then..."Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How about I build a Greek F-4 getting flamed then..."Q"

Just kidding

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
Me too Nick. I do have a Greek F-4 planned to go with my Greek F-104 though. "Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC

I have also built the Missouri (warship) 1/700 with goldmedal pe, an American Yank (North) 54mm and an M-113 in Vietnam

Now I've became an 100% Aircraft modeller

Sorry for the spam, keep going with your built Mr. Mattew

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
My acrylic rod showed up in the mail today so I was able to get my Mig mounted to its base. Upon a suggestion from a good friend, I titled it "Chinese Take-out" which I think is appropriate. In case anybody was wondering about the circumstances behind the story line, here is what I found about it via Wiki. Thanks for looking. "Q"

The crisis started with the 823 Artillery Bombardment (translated from Traditional Chinese: 八二三炮戰; Simplified Chinese: 八二三炮战; pinyin: Bāčrsān Pŕozhŕn) at 5:30pm on August 23, 1958, when People's Liberation Army forces began an intense artillery shelling of the Quemoy. ROC forces in Quemoy dug in and returned fire. In the subsequent bombardments, roughly 250 ROC troops and around 2000 troops on the PRC side were killed.

This was a continuation of the First Taiwan Strait Crisis, which had started immediately after the Korean War. Chiang Kai-shek had begun to build on the two islands of Matsu and Quemoy. In 1954, PRC began firing artillery at both the islands of Quemoy and Matsu focusing most of the attack on Quemoy.

The United States Eisenhower Administration responded to ROC's request for aid according to its obligations in the 1954 U.S.-ROC defense treaty by reinforcing US naval units and ordering US naval vessels to help the Kuomintang Nationalist government protect Quemoy's supply lines. Under a secret effort known as Operation Black Magic, the US Navy modified some ROC air force F-86 Sabres with its newly introduced AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile to provide an edge against more advanced PRC MiG fighters, which had an altitude advantage over the Sabre. Recent research from the National Archives also indicates that the Air Force was prepared for a nuclear strike against the PRC, due to French objection. It was called off.

The Soviet Union dispatched its foreign minister, Andrei Gromyko, to Beijing to discuss China's actions.

This situation in 1958 continued for 44 days and took approximately 1,000 lives. On 22 September 1958, the Sidewinder was used for the first time when 32 Sabres and over 100 MiGs dog fight with 10 MiGs being downed by the F-86s in a single day.

Faced with a stalemate, the PRC and the ROC called a ceasefire on October 6. Beijing issued a “Message to the Compatriots in Taiwan” in the name of Defense Minister Peng Dehuai; however, the message was actually drafted by Mao Zedong. The message called for a peaceful solution to the Taiwan issue and called for all Chinese to unite against the "American plot to divide China".

Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC
This is a very cool subject! I applaud your modeling skills--I'll be happy if I can make a kit look good enough OOB! You've got some great ideas and the ability to make them come to life. Keep up the great work!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the kudos Robby , much appreciated. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP