_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Kit Comparison
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
I am farely new to this WWI aircraft scene, but have been modelling before, now, my main outlet has been figures for many years, I am there fore quite used to purchasing quality and not so good quality of kits.

But when I first saw the WNW kits, I could see that, what was being produced was of great quality and easy to build, giving more emphasis to the quality of the build. I purchased an older Albatros DIII kit by another manufacturer, it wasn’t expensive and so figured It would be OK to do some conversion work on, this kit has turned out to be of staggeringly low quality, although i can still do the conversion work
I have so much more work to do.

This is where I would just like to put across a point and ask a question.
In the figure modelling world, single figures from companies such as Andrea and Pegaso, can be expensive especially when you are working on a scale of say 90mm (1/20) (usually about £60-£75) and if this is of poor quality, I will usually talk to the manufacturer/supplier, and exchange for a better cast version of the figure.

Has anybody out there in the Aircraft modelling world considered doing this with kits that are just too much work to rectify, considering most of the buying is now done on the web?

Dave
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
Greetings Dave,

This issue is poorly molded kits. The deal is if it comes from a mold the worst it could be is a short shot. Most companies have quality control teams.

If you are saying that the design is poor that is why we do kit reviews. It warns people about the short comings and the projected amount of work involved in doing a decent build.

I could probably mention the name of the manufacturer your talking about. But the chance of getting a better molded version of that or any of their kits is pretty slim. If you have questions about a kit before you buy it stop by here and we'll give you some pointers. If you find you bought a less than stellar designed kit we'll help you with build suggestions.
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
Stephen

Thanks for that, you probably could name the company, but I thought it better not to. Thankfully its only a base for a conversion I mentioned to you before the Albatros C.IX. Well just a section of it. Quality control I think is not an issue, I just think its poorly designed and moulded.....

But thanks for your info

Dave
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:44 PM UTC
What you have to remember too is that not every manufacturer has WNWs finances and resources.

Plus before WNW stepped up and gave us their wonderful wares, these more likely were all you could get and most were more than happy, even ecstatic to get the chance to build (I still am building) their offerings.

Flawed or not they build up very well with a little/lot of work, and WNW kits heve issues too depending on level of build. I'm just thankful to have so many subjects to choose from in 1:32 WW1 A/C a few years back it was a rather barren all but forgotten genre.
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi Keith, yes I do understand the financial thing with WNW, but even so this kit was worse than the Revell Pup and DR1 combo kit that came out, as far as moulding was concerned, but as I have said I have used it for what I wanted it for, it has served its purpose.

I do love that there is progression in the hobby from both the modellers and the manufacturers, as we all know manufacturers have had to step their game. I suppose it really could be considered as a great kit for the aftermarket side of things, rather than the out of the box modelling, which I do appreciate is an area I have not really been involved in.......

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer

Dave
 _GOTOTOP