_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Airbrushing panel lines?
Sko1112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hey guys

Got my 1:48 TSR-2 today in the post and naturally i want to do a good job having spent £28.99 on the thing!
I have never bothered to attempt panel lines before, but since this is such a huge kit i want to make it look something special...

Just wondering if you had some tips for an airbrush novice?

Simon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:29 PM UTC
Simon, if you can hold off for a short while, I am putting together a feature on how I post shade my panel lines when I build aircraft. Another technique on pre-shading can be found under the features section. Mal Mayfield did that one. Mine won't be ready for submission for a few days yet. I did a short step by step on the Modern forums section on Post Shading though if you want to give that a look. Also a bit of info on it with the F-105G I am currently building on the Cold Wars forum. Hope this helps. "Q"
ps. TSR II....nice kit!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 06:47 PM UTC
Matt, I would like to see that write up.

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 01:28 AM UTC
Coming soon. "Q"
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 01:56 AM UTC
You can also use preshading: spray a base coat, then airbrush black (or grey... a dark colour though - Be careful to thin the colour enough to have a smooth feathered line with no drops of colour all around) on the panel lines. Next step: spray the base colour in thin layers until you get a satisfying result. This way, you will have a darkened panel line and you will be able to darken the lines further with washes.
Which is the livery you have chosen for you TSR2?
Sko1112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Thanks all for your responses!

Matthew i will hold off untill your article, since i have a few other projects on the go at the moment anyway, however ill definetly look into your previous article!

Giacomo thanks for your advice ill attempt your method on a few old kits first, since ill definetly screw it up first time haha.
I am very much undecided on the colour scheme. The purist in me cries out for the classic white, however i really like what xtradecal has done with their 'what if' RAF schemes. I like the idea of a battered 'end of service' TSR-2

Simon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi Simon, I submitted my article/feature and the accompanying pics to the powers that be. So now we just wait for it to get sorted through, edited if needed and then posted. Hopefully it answers what questions you might have had. If not, ping me and I'll do my best to help. Thanks, "Q"
Sko1112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks Matthew for your help, ill be sure to check it out!

Simon
 _GOTOTOP