_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Scratched up wing surface?
TankTrap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 06:52 PM UTC
I had to remove some decals from my spitfire with force (sandpaper) now the surface of the wings are a little scratced up looking...
Is there any product that will fill these scratches?
Im thinking a fine dry type putty that i will be able to put in and easily sand back flush with the surface?

Im not to keen on the amount of sandinf that will need to be done to just take it right back.

Thanks
David
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hi David

It all depends on how bad the scratches are. If they are fine ones, I'll probably just use Mr. Surfacer or thick paint and smooth it down lightly with a padded sander (to avoid "digging in or filing a flat spot). If they are really fine you might be able to get away with just careful sanding, no filler. For deeper scratches, something like Squadron putty applied thinly dries quickly and is easy to sand.

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 11:57 PM UTC
Look for a filler primer. Should be able to find one where they sell auto repair materials. Often iit is abright colour such as yellow. Decant and spray on with an airbrush. Lightly sand wet with 1200 wet-and-dry. Repest if necessary.
TankTrap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:53 PM UTC
Thanks guys i used some gunze paint and sprayed it generously then sanded with my squren sanding stick
 _GOTOTOP