_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airbrush
jhutchi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:28 PM UTC
Hi all

I'm looking to buy an airbrush, does anyone have any suggestions on which one to buy?
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
The question is, what are you using your airbrush for exactly? What models do you make? How do you paint camouflages (masking or freehand), do you usually pre-shade or not, have you got a compressor etc. What is your budget...

- If you want to spray large surfaces (basecoating or single-color surfaces, you mask your camouflage every time, you model 1/48 or larger), you need an airbrush with a large paint cup (possibly bottom feed) and at least 0,3 nozzle. In this case a single-action AB could do it for you).
- If you want fine lines (you paint 1/72, do camouflage freehand, preshade etc.) you need a double-action gravity-feed airbrush with a 0,2 nozzle (note that the width of the line is not entirely depending on the nozzle size, but on 1) nozzle size, 2) air pressure, 3) thinning ratio and 4) distance from surface).

Consider this. There are many options for you. There are also solutions to unite the above functions in one airbrush with more or less success (like the Badger 360 Universal or the Aztec airbrushes).

I personally use a 50-dollar Chinese airbrush (FengDa BD-130) and I am completely satisfied with it. I am not afraid to use it with all types of paint and experiment with it sometimes. It is not the easiest to keep clean but it is reliable, simple and parts supply is cheap. If I wanted to buy a new airbrush, I would go for a Badger Renegade Velocity (I don't really need it since my current AB covers all my requirements in painting, but I find it very cool), but, again there are a lot of good options for you. Consider your budget and make sure there is spares supply near you.

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi James,
With so many different airbrushes out there it can get a little confusing, and everyone has their own personal favorites.
I recently bought the Premi-Air G35 Airbrush and it is a very nice airbrush.
If you can, see if you can try some out before you make your mind up. Model shows normally have someone selling airbrushes, and they sometimes have them set up so you can test drive them.
Andy
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi James. I recommend the Aztek line of airbrushes. They are quite capable of providing you good results. I will include a couple of photos which show you my work with the Aztek 4709 which is a double/single action brush.

The only thing is the twist on twist off heads tend to wear out and occasionally I have had a problem with the something in the brush itself going bad. No worries though, Testors, the manufacturer of the airbrush will send you a new body FREE of charge for the life of the airbrush if something goes wrong. Head replacement just goes with the game so to speak. I really like mine. Russell

All models were painted with acrylic colors. Either Model Master or Polly Scale acrylics. Both lines are owned by Testors. I hope this aids in your decision some. Dust not included in most kits!!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC
I use an Iwata Revolution that i got for about 70.00 dollars US.Wouldnt trade it for the world.If your interested in the aztek I have a A4709 Set.A little used it was the one I learned on I will sell you for 50.00 USD.and shipping flat rate of course.let me know.

P.s.-They retail around 200.00 USD. NEW.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
Harder & Steenbeck all the way, hands down the best airbrush I have ever used.
 _GOTOTOP