Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa 1/48 109E
compositeguru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi, i'm new around here and wanted to show of my 1st model since i stopped about 20 years ago. I'm just getting back into the swing of things and have learnt a lot of techniques just from this aircraft. I dropped myself in the deep end a bit with this model as i found that the german colour schemes are quite tricky to master. I even went down the route of getting the guys at the company i work for the make the masks for the crosses so i could try painting them rather than decals.

This is my finished project which i have been working on and off of since Christmas and i'm quite pleased with my first efforts with an airbrush.

It's no where near the quality of some of the models on this site but i'm sure with a bit of practice i can get some fairly realistic results.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
Matt,
Firstly welcome aboard,you will find the guys and gals here really helpful,particularly when google fails to answer a question.
Secomdly:Your 109 is fantastic I can't wait to see your second build.
I hope to post photos of my 109F trop soonish,I'm not at the painting stage yet but close.

Cheers

Chris
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Matt

Yes - welcome aboard!

Wow! For someone new to using an airbrush, you are already achieving fantastic results! I really look forward to seeing your future work.

All the best

Rowan
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 09:47 PM UTC
I think it's just great!!

But what is this white think on the tail swastika

Cheers Nick
compositeguru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments, its appreciated.

I try to scratch build most of the additions on my models but seatbelts are something i will buy everytime as they are just too good not too.

As for the white bit over the swastika, it is the kill tally, a bit of a strange place to put it but according to my references thats where Josef Priller wanted them situated.

My next project is a Tamiya 1/48 FW190 F8, then i have a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire IXc and then a Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Pup. The Focke Wulf is going to be used for more training.

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hi again Matt.
Found a photo which confirms what you said about Prillers victories that are painted over the Swastika,

http://www.ww2incolor.com/german-air-force/2086556207_b56cd9da7f.html

cheers again

Chris

(Hi Chris - I've made your link live. All the best. Rowan)

_GOTOTOP