_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
U2 Speed build
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hello all. I got the idea for this while trying to figure out what to build for an upcoming model event. There is a theme within the contest for things/items from 1960. There is a separate category for 1960 automotive entries too. After doing some research I decided on my entry. The shoot down of Gary Powers on 1 May 1960 over Russia. I used the MPC 1/72 U2 and had a lot of work to do to get things right. The engine nacelles didn't fit for snot and required lots of block sanding to line everything up. The main landing gear were down only, so I had to scratch the covers for this area. Due to all the sanding I decided early on to remove all the panel lins and replace them using variations in paint when the time came. Since it is still unclear what brought Powers down I fabricated an evil looking missile from the spares box to suggest this is the most probable cause. There is a small back story to the event that I printed and pasted on a piece of foam core.
I painted the entire model ala rattle can flat black then buffed it out to a semi gloss sheen, followed by a heavy gloss coat of Future and the minimal decals, then flat coated everything once dry. As Powers' U2 was CIA operated there were no national markings or otherwise identifiable markings on it. Just some walk ways, a tail number and the ejection seat warning triangles. To replace the panel lines I laid down Tamiya tape and used Flat Dark Sea Blue and lightly misted it along the trailing edges of the tape. It did exactly what I was hoping it would. I didn't replace all of the panel lines, just enought to break up the sea of flat black covering the aircraft. I usually build fast, but this was a new record for me as it was not even a full 3 days from start to finish. Sometimes things just click...this clicked, snapped, and fell together like I invisioned it from the start. I'll take some more pics if you are interested in seeing more. Thanks for looking.
"Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:07 PM UTC
Matt, nice center piece. I like the way you have displayed the a/c and SAM with the map. Still wonder what the U2 thinks about sharing the same area with the SAM. YEP you are showing off Matt. Great build and conversation piece, how do you build so fast. Forget that you are retired, so am I but in no way can I keep up with you.

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:19 PM UTC
lol... Thanks Bob, As to the speed, I don't know. I just go until I can't go any more and then I work on something else and come back to it when I can. I cheat a lot too. I'm sure you have heard the rule of letting this or that dry for 24 hours, ie. Future.. I use a hairdryer, or other means to speed things along when I have the mind to. If I screw something up, no biggee. It's a learning point.. I have a contest on the 10th of July that will feature a 3 hour build competition which will be voted on by public vote. Also have a 6 hour one on the 3rd that is judged by elimination..just like IPMS standards. After doing a few of these I figured out real quick what I can cut corners on where others won't. More times than not I finish well under the alloted time. Gives me time to tighten things up if needed. Some times I'll help others get their completed so they can at least enter something. It's all in fun for me. Thanks for the kudos, glad you like it. "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 03:58 PM UTC
Awesome Matt.

I built the Seminar (Korea) 1/72 U2 about 10 years ago. I think a couple of the seams took over 3 days to get right.

I suspect that the Soviets threw everything but the kitchen sink at Powers' U2, so a missile is as good a guess as anything.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:36 PM UTC
Matt, what city will the competition be held in? I lived in quite a few places while in Colorado in the 90's, went to Colpar in Aurora for most of my supplies. I cannot remember the name of the LHS in the Springs, at one point it was in the south part then they moved to the mall up by 25 and the Academy. Any way good luck with the competition.

Bob
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hey Matt,
What a neat build.
Very cool.
I must admit wanting to do a U2 in NASA colours.

Chris
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Bob. The competition is part of a month long event called Model Daze. I am the coordinator for it. It takes place at Compleat Games and Hobbies here in Colorado Springs. It is the same store you are thinking of. It changed owners back in August of last year and has since opened a second store on the north end of the Springs. Colpar is still doing business with both of their locations in the Denver/Aurora area. My club makes routine trips up there as part of a tour we do with a small group of builders. Thanks for the well wishes on the contest, it should prove to be a lot of fun. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks Chris. A NASA schemed one is also on my radar at some point. I have the Special Hobby kit lined up for that one with all the extra lumps and bumps on it. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC
I took this thing to a contest yesterday at Colpar Hobbies in Aurora CO. and was awarded a 3rd place for my efforts. Considering the time I spent on it, I was pretty happy with the results. Thanks, "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Congratulations.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom