_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aerosol Acrylic Clear Coats
Specter1075
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 55 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hello all.

Not quite sure how to go about finding an answer to this, so I though I'd ask.

I am looking for what the title says; an acrylic clear coat in aerosol form. I found a few companies that make some, but I didnt come across any from modeling companies, so Im not sure what would be suitable for the plastic of our kits. Is there anyone out there that uses an aerosol acrylic for their clear coating?

Thanks!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:50 PM UTC
Chris:

Not quite sure that there are any out there. The only 2 clear coats that are Acrylic Based are Future and Deltas Creamicoat. You have to spray them with an airbrush but they are acrylics.

I use both and have worked for me every time.

Regular Lacquer based will work on acrylic paints if you don't flood it and give them time to cure.

Is there a specific reason why you looking for these types of Aerosols?

Paul
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 03:00 AM UTC
hi,

i use vallejo clearcoat sprays,they come in matt,semi matt and gloss.

paul
Specter1075
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guys.

What Im trying to do is learn a new technique. I am a pretty modest modeler, and have sort of been working on a few kits off on on for a little while when time and money allow. Something Ive wanted to learn to do is highlight panel lines. I found a nice little tutorial here:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt122_panellines_Wickham/tnt122.htm

My understanding of what the author recommends is using an acrylic clear coat after painting so that when washing off the excess enamel in the panel lines, the solvent used wont interfere with the clear coat underneath. The reason I am looking for an aerosol based acrylic is that I do not have a working airbrush right now, and I do not have the money to get a new one. Im working on a 1/32 F-16CJ, so I was able to get the colors I need in aerosol form. Anyways, being fairly inexperienced at all this, Im sure there is a more logical method given my situation, but I havnt worked it out yet.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi Chris

You can always brush on Future / Klear (that's how I normally apply it). I doesn't leave brush marks and polishes up to a great gloss finish.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net//features/227

All the best

Rowan
Specter1075
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks very much!

Ive heard people mention future, but I wasnt able to look it up since it isnt exactly a specific search term. I'll go out looking for some tomorrow!

Cheers!
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
You can commonly find it in any local grocery store. It is now called " Pledge with Futures Shine". Why they changed it have no idea but it is the same stuff.

Merlin is right. It can be hand brushed on. As can the other stuff I mentioned as well. In fact. The Ceramicoat Line was meant to be applied with a hand Brush. I just use an Airbrush because it is thin enough to do so.
It can be found in Arts and craft stores such as Micheal's or AC Moore.

Good luck and let us know how you make out..

Paul
Specter1075
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
Im happy to hear its made to be brushed on. I was really hesitant to get into that for fear of brush strokes. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP