_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spitfire Mk.Vc Build
cellodude
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get back into aircraft models after a couple years of building armor subjects, so I bought a Tamiya 1/48th scale Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop. I'd really like to do a 'foreign' Spit, but most of the Mk.V aircraft (with chin filters) used by the Aussies and Americans were of the "C" wing type. First of all, what is the big difference between the "B" and "C" wings? I know it has something to do with the armament and arrangement of the wing panels, but I'm in the dark as to the rest. Second, is it obvious enough that I couldn't paint the airplane as a Vc and ignore the wing issue? If I can get away with it, I'd prefer not to buy aftermarket. Lastly, if I do need to buy aftermarket, what kit should I get? I've done some research already, but I'm not finding anything.

Thanks in advance.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
The Vb had a bulge above, and below, the wing, to accomodate the 60-round magazine/gun lying on its side, which caused all sorts of feed problems. The Vc had provision for 2 cannon side-by-side (and horizontally set,) which meant that there was a single, wider, bulge, on top of the wing, which was also set further forward, nearer the spar-line. To accomodate the 120-round magazines, beside the cannons, what had been the no.3 Browning .303" was moved outboard, one compartment. The Vb had a single fairing, in the wing l/e, to accomodate the cannon; most Vc had two, making provision for the 4 cannon, but utilising a small wooden "bung" in one, if the compartment was left empty.
Edgar
SCHUMAN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
HEY DEREK,
I'm new to aircraft modelling myself but I know that Special Hobby has a Spitfire Vc. I dont know if the kit is any good or not, I'm sure someone with more experience can let you know this, if this is the route you want to go or not. Hope this helped.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 05:54 PM UTC
Hi Derek,

I just finished the Special Hobby Mk.Vc and have written some notes on it in another thread i started. Hopefully it may help out.

Also half way through the Tamiya V.b kit.

If you really want a Vc then i think the SH kit is a good bet, it's surely cheaper/easier than buying a Tamiya kit and aftermarket Vb conversion set.

Andrew
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi all,

Here are some illustration pictures...

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP