_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
NEWS
I/48 Boeing B-52 Stratofortress.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:57 AM UTC
Fancy a bit of a challenge. Sanger are in the final stages of producing a vac formed B-52 A-E / F / G / H / NB-52A.
Wingspan will be 46” [117cm] and length is 39” [99cm]. This will be a limited run production and orders are apparently brisk. Try getting this box past your better half!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:17 AM UTC
Nice one Tim.
I looked at this the other day to see how far they were coming along with it (its been ongoing for about three years ), and it looks like it is finally going to see the light of day.
This kit is going to be huge, a vac-form and no where to put it after its finished. But I still want one .
Andy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Tim

Thanks for the news. Wow! Sanger are nothing if not ambitious - I see they have a 1:48 B-36 planned too!

All the best

Rowan
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hi all
I only saw this by chance because I was looking for a possible project for the vac-u-form campaign proposal by Paul [Ludwig 113]. Rowan the B-36 I think will be even larger. You have to admire the passion and determination of the folk at Sanger. I think it will be big enough to create your own gate guardian!
tim
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi again

Despite having a reasonable modelling den now, I wouldn't be able to build anything with a 4ft wingspan. Well, build it, maybe... Paint it? That's another matter... Find a place to keep it? No way!

I've got Bill Koster's vacuform Privateer conversion (for the Monogram B-24) that I really want to tackle one day - I think that'll be quite big enough.

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 12:22 PM UTC
I still haven't figured out what to do with the Mono 1/72 B-52 after 30+ years. What ever would I do with a 1/48? And a vac at that.....
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 08:07 PM UTC
A 1/48 B-36 and BUFF?! Those'll be show stoppers!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 09:53 AM UTC
Have never built a Vac kit, but would take the plunge for this one. That would just be a show stopper on any given contest table it arrived on just due to its sheer size alone. Think I'll have to drop Sanger a note with some payment and shipping instructions in it. Thanks for sharing the news. "Q"
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
Thats the spirit 'Q'. I must admit I am very curious, although I think I might start with something smaller in Sangers range, the Beriev BE-12 is a likely contender me thinks.
tim
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fancy a bit of a challenge. Sanger are in the final stages of producing a vac formed B-52 A-E / F / G / H / NB-52A.
Wingspan will be 46” [117cm] and length is 39” [99cm]. This will be a limited run production and orders are apparently brisk. Try getting this box past your better half!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

How do you determine that pre-orders have been brisk? The proprietor doesn't respond to email queries. I speak from personal experience. I've sent emails on a number of occasions, most recently three days ago; and, I have yet to hear word one.

Is there a possibility that you, or the other editors at Aeroscale, can get any more information regarding the B-52's status and ask him why he's not responding to emails? From my perspective, he's losing the opportunity to make some decent sales on this one. I'm interested in two of them; additionally, how can I place orders for other kits if he doesn't answer his mail? Quite a condundrum, wouldn't you agree?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:45 AM UTC
Joseph, you are not alone in this. I have emailed them 4 times asking the same thing and have had no reply either. I know of at least two others in my area that are interested in purchasing Buff's, but with no reply from the source....we can't. They are definitely missing out on sales opportunities here. "Q"
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joseph, you are not alone in this. I have emailed them 4 times asking the same thing and have had no reply either. I know of at least two others in my area that are interested in purchasing Buff's, but with no reply from the source....we can't. They are definitely missing out on sales opportunities here. "Q"

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Q.

Not for nothing, if I was the owner of a company, I'd be doing everything possible to build up and maintain a satisfied customer base. It seems like Sanger is taking a page from other companies which exhibit the identical behavior towards potential clients/customers. It's a real shame. This kit would have been something to super detail to the nines.
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[Is there a possibility that you, or the other editors at Aeroscale, can get any more information regarding the B-52's status and ask him why he's not responding to emails? From my perspective, he's losing the opportunity to make some decent sales on this one. I'm interested in two of them; additionally, how can I place orders for other kits if he doesn't answer his mail? Quite a condundrum, wouldn't you agree?

Hi Joseph
Since reading your email I have emailed Sanger enquirying about the situation with the B-52. As yet I have had no reply. I will let you know if I recieve any mail from Sanger. Can I ask over what period of time have you been trying to contact Sanger?
All the best.
tim
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hello Tim.

I've been trying to contact Sanger since mid 2009. I found the site while searching for info on the available B-52 kits. I emailed six requests for other kits listed on the site during 2009-10; plus a couple about the BUFF. The most recent attempt was four days ago. It's amazing that some companies would choose to exhibit such financially counterproductive behavior.
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
I'll have to consider this one a write off. It doesn't look like Sanger cares to respond to email inquiries about any of their products. That's a shame. They have a lot of interesting subjects. The two B-52s I planned on ordering would've been great projects.
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 10:33 AM UTC
It is odd, I have emailed them a few times, but nothing.
All the best.
tim
Lawnguylander
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 03:35 PM UTC
I sent him the URL to this thread- if nothing else, he'll see how poorly thought of he is in the modelling community....
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 07:57 PM UTC
This is like beating a dead horse.

I recently emailed Sanger in November and December, using the contact box at the company site. Guess what? NADA, NICHTS, NOTHING! This guy's customer relations skills, to put it mildly, suck bigtime. Did he hit the lottery and doesn't need the money or, is it that he just plain doesn't give a rat's patootie that his business is taking a hit from the negative publicity that his indifference to potential customers is generating?

Re the dead horse, at least it might respond, unlike Sanger Models.
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Well, first the good news:

according to what's been posted on the Sanger website, the only work remaining is the detailing on the wings; then the kit will be molded with a release scheduled for later in the year. The price is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 95 GBP.

The not so good news:

this kit will not contain the parts required to depict all variants, as was heralded in earlier announcements:

Quoted Text

As there are so many decal finishes,

it has been decided to supply the kit not

as 1 kit, but as 7 kits for different versions:

A/. B-52A/B Variant

B/. RB-52B Variant

C/. B-52 C/D/E Variant

D/. B-52F Variant

E/. B-52G Variant

F/. B-52H Variant

G/. NB-52A X-15 Launcher

This is some serious mazooma we're talking about when you consider that the price doesn't include shipping.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 03:40 PM UTC
He would have to have a Blackburn Perth on there... I want one of those!

Nyyargh. Carmarthen. I am, in actual fact Welsh, from Gower, and I know this guy. That is to say, I know all his sort. He's down the pub right now. This moment. "Got a website you know. Dial-up 56K. 56K! Can you believe it Evan!"

I'm literally not going to buy anything because of this.

"WE ARE NOW CLOSED DOWN UNTIL 25th MARCH 2012

NO ORDERS WILL BE TAKEN AFTER 21st FEBRUARY 2012 UNTIL WE RE-OPEN 26th MARCH 2012"

Why?? You live in Carmarthen! It's the sleepiest place in the British Isles. John O'Groats has more going on!

Blisteringly annoying that all the little manufacturer's with the best stuff are like this.

Hopefully one of those industrious little Eastern European resin companies eats his lunch.
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

NO ORDERS WILL BE TAKEN AFTER 21st FEBRUARY 2012 UNTIL WE RE-OPEN 26th MARCH 2012"

Why?? You live in Carmarthen! It's the sleepiest place in the British Isles. John O'Groats has more going on!

Probably likes to nurse his pints; or, there must be a month long happy hour special.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC
A friend of mine made a "Bear" which is also a huge thing.

He constructed a clever system that allows him to take the wings of for moving it to modelling shows.

This guy has painted the ceiling of his modelling den to depict an airfield and all his planes hang with heavy fishing wire upside down on the ceiling

Add to that a clever transparent plastic false ceiling under the real ceiling and even dust can't spoil the fun anymore.

Back to the B-52: very tempting but I never worked with vac and this one may be a bridge too far
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nyyargh. Carmarthen. I am, in actual fact Welsh, from Gower, and I know this guy. That is to say, I know all his sort. He's down the pub right now. This moment. "Got a website you know. Dial-up 56K. 56K! Can you believe it Evan!"

Blisteringly annoying that all the little manufacturer's with the best stuff are like this.

Hopefully one of those industrious little Eastern European resin companies eats his lunch.

Pleasae, back off guys!

You don't know (like I don't) what is currently going on in the life of the person(s) behind Sanger or in the fortunes of the company itself.

These are very small run kits and the technical challenges (and expense) may be huge, hence, this is possibly only a "hobby company" with the owner(s) having another full time job to take care of.

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What, people can't take a vacation???
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What, people can't take a vacation???

No. That's being selfish. Did Monty or Ike take vacation time on June 5? Did the IRS take a vacation before nailing Scarface for tax evasion? Did Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse and Chief Gall decide that they needed a week in Vegas before the Battle of The Little Bighorn? Did Columbus decide to take a tour of the Caribbean before he "discovered" the New World? O.K., I'll give you that one because he did exactly that. The point I'm making is that the proprietor should concern himself with satisfying our needs as hobbyists before even contemplating something as frivolous as this "vacation" stuff.
 _GOTOTOP