_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Russian Hind'sat Pristina Airport June '99
Intrinsic
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me which version of Hind the Russians had at Pristina Airport in June '99 and who manufacture the correct version in 1/72 please
Regards
Stuart

Per Ardua
Intrinsic
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
Thanks for all your replies, think i'll have to try a better forum.
Stuart
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stuart

Yes, do that. They probably need better members...
Intrinsic
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Stuart

Yes, do that. They probably need better members...

So Jean-Luc because I was disheartened with the forum and I make a silly comment that I would look at another Forum it makes me a bad member?

I thought the whole idea of this forum was to assist fellow modellers with with their questions and queries.
I searched intensively over the internet for two days to find the answer to my question before asking on here because I thought someone would know or at least offer a suggestion to where I might find what I was looking for, 60 people looked at my thread and not a word of advice from one of them.
Are they all really afraid to answer because they might get it wrong and one of their peers says something about the fact that their information is incorrect.
I'm truly shocked that no one person could be bothered to assist.
All I wanted to do was to was build a Hind and have some C2 vehicles and maybe some British vehicles representing the stand-off between the British (RAF Regiment & RE's) and the Russians that happened after the Russian blocked the runway to a Turkish aid flight.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 03:10 AM UTC
HI Stuart,

Quoted Text

So Jean-Luc because I was disheartened with the forum and I make a silly comment that I would look at another Forum it makes me a bad member?

No, to the contrary, I was only assuming you would be too good for Aeroscale...

Bad jokes aside, I'm sure that if someone has the answer to your question, he/she will answer you. Sadly it takes some time sometimes because not everyone visits the site on a daily basis. Maybe you should simply bump your question every day for a week or so.

Sorry if I have offended you earlier...

All the best,

Jean-Luc
Marnix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 799 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Stuart,

I'm not an aviation expert, but maybe this will help... Apparently in 2000 there were Russsian Mi-24P Hind F's of the 27th Aviation Group stationed at Pristina. Chances are that the helikopters stationed there in 1999 were of the same kind. Italeri produces this kit (#71024) and so does Hasegawa. Rumour has it that the Hasegawa Hind E actually resembles a Hind F. Hope this helps.

By the way, Jean-Luc is right that not every member visits this forum on a daily basis. Try to be patient after you post a question...

Greetings,

Max
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:15 AM UTC
Sorry for the poor picture quality, but here's a picture that I took of a Russian KFOR Hind east of Gnjilane in early 2000. I'm not the one to tell the exact version, but hopefully it can be helpful anyway. Maybe someone else can tell from the picture?

CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC
And here is a photo of the Hind's wingman, a Hip.

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the whole idea of this forum was to assist fellow modellers with with their questions and queries.
I searched intensively over the internet for two days to find the answer to my question before asking on here because I thought someone would know or at least offer a suggestion to where I might find what I was looking for, 60 people looked at my thread and not a word of advice from one of them.
Are they all really afraid to answer because they might get it wrong and one of their peers says something about the fact that their information is incorrect.

I usually stay out of these discussions, but this sort of attitude really bothers me.

These forums work - and work well - because people are nice enough to take their own time and freely share information that they have. But the bottom line is this: if people don't have the information, they can't share it.

When asking a question of this nature - what type of vehicle was used at a specific location during a specific timeframe - you've got to expect that nobody has a clear cut answer, especially if the time period in question wasn't well documented.

I don't know anyone on this forum who happened to be in Kosovo, at Pristina, in June of '99, but there might be someone who was there. But he might not check the forums often. Or he might not remember what version of the Hind was in use. Or someone else might have this great set of photos from Kosovo during that time period, but needs to track them down out of the thousands of pictures they have on their hard drive. In some cases, there are a lot of things that happen between asking a question and getting an answer.

On a related note, to assume you're entitled to such an answer just because a certain number of people looked at your post is foolish. To cop an attitude about not getting an answer in 3 days and going to find a "better forum" - whether you meant it as a joke or not - is both rude and childish. Such behavior is not going to endear you to your fellow forum goers, no matter what forum you visit.

You will find that most of the folks here are helpful to a fault. Eventually, someone might track down the information you want, or point you in the right direction to help you find your answer. In the meantime, you need to have more patience and consideration when asking for help, and a lot less attitude.

-YL
Intrinsic
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stuart,

I'm not an aviation expert, but maybe this will help... Apparently in 2000 there were Russsian Mi-24P Hind F's of the 27th Aviation Group stationed at Pristina. Chances are that the helikopters stationed there in 1999 were of the same kind. Italeri produces this kit (#71024) and so does Hasegawa. Rumour has it that the Hasegawa Hind E actually resembles a Hind F. Hope this helps.

By the way, Jean-Luc is right that not every member visits this forum on a daily basis. Try to be patient after you post a question...

Greetings,

Max

Marnix, Thank you for your assistance, I now have something to go on with.
Best Regards
intrinsic.
Intrinsic
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And here is a photo of the Hind's wingman, a Hip.

CanDid,Thank you very very much, the picture of the Hind does look very much like the ones that were there in the June 99,but if I remember they had a lot more markings(couldn't get photos as the Russsian shooed us away) I can't recall there being any Hips at that time.
I will use this as a basis to start with, once again thank you very much.
Intrinsic
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I usually stay out of these discussions, but this sort of attitude really bothers me.

These forums work - and work well - because people are nice enough to take their own time and freely share information that they have. But the bottom line is this: if people don't have the information, they can't share it.

When asking a question of this nature - what type of vehicle was used at a specific location during a specific timeframe - you've got to expect that nobody has a clear cut answer, especially if the time period in question wasn't well documented.

I don't know anyone on this forum who happened to be in Kosovo, at Pristina, in June of '99, but there might be someone who was there. But he might not check the forums often. Or he might not remember what version of the Hind was in use. Or someone else might have this great set of photos from Kosovo during that time period, but needs to track them down out of the thousands of pictures they have on their hard drive. In some cases, there are a lot of things that happen between asking a question and getting an answer.

On a related note, to assume you're entitled to such an answer just because a certain number of people looked at your post is foolish. To cop an attitude about not getting an answer in 3 days and going to find a "better forum" - whether you meant it as a joke or not - is both rude and childish. Such behavior is not going to endear you to your fellow forum goers, no matter what forum you visit.

You will find that most of the folks here are helpful to a fault. Eventually, someone might track down the information you want, or point you in the right direction to help you find your answer. In the meantime, you need to have more patience and consideration when asking for help, and a lot less attitude.

-YL

YL Salaam, I can't believe your attitude, eveything that needed to be said about my moan was said, done and dusted!
YL tell me are you a Forum moderator?
If so I will apologies to all on the forum, if not i suggest you take you big nose out of it.
Some fellows forum user have since come up with some excellent source material to be going on with.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Stuart

better find a way to express you thoughts more polite or you won't get any anwer.

Before you ask: No I am no moderator either but it does not take responsibilities to recognize a troll. I am totally with Yoni Levi on this! There are many boards that have a faar better knowledge than this one but there are not many that are as nice and kind as this one. Maybe go to HS JA or ARC and show the attitude you show here ...

Have a nice day and good luck with your search. Maybe try a Russian board...

Steffen
Intrinsic
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stuart

better find a way to express you thoughts more polite or you won't get any anwer.

Before you ask: No I am no moderator either but it does not take responsibilities to recognize a troll. I am totally with Yoni Levi on this! There are many boards that have a faar better knowledge than this one but there are not many that are as nice and kind as this one. Maybe go to HS JA or ARC and show the attitude you show here ...

Have a nice day and good luck with your search. Maybe try a Russian board...

Steffen

Steffen, Thank you for your advice. However I have only been impolite to those who have in my opinion been rude about what I posted -YL. As far as i'm concerned Jean-Luc said all that needed to be said, end of story! I don't think its necessary to start taking sides after all were aren't at war!
Lets all put this to bed enough is enough.
Point taken!!!!

Intrinsic

OUT
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi everyone

Let's all do as Stuart asks and put this one to bed. Enough really is enough.

He and Jean-Luc sorted out the misunderstanding; Jean-Luc apologised and Stuart admitted he'd made a silly comment. That should be the end of the issue. All the subsequent comments and advice, although obviously well intentioned, simply serve to rekindle any problem. But Stuart, there is equally no call to be rude to anyone in your replies.

I don't want to lock the thread, because I hope some more useful info on the Hinds may surface, but please let's move on and get back to modelling.

All the best

Rowan
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

CanDid,Thank you very very much, the picture of the Hind does look very much like the ones that were there in the June 99,but if I remember they had a lot more markings(couldn't get photos as the Russsian shooed us away) I can't recall there being any Hips at that time.
I will use this as a basis to start with, once again thank you very much.

You are welcome! I think that the Hind I photographed is the same Hind that was stationed at the Pristina Airport (PRN). I can remember that I noticed that the camouflage looked a bit like leafs and flowers, if you see what I mean. I also have a weak memory that there were two of them, a few years has passed since.

The one above is the only picture I can find though. I have also seen a Hind parked at PRN later on, but I cannot find any pictures. I know I've taken some though. On the other hand, perhaps it's not even the same machine.

I also looked at some pictures of the soldiers and their BTR-80's, but do not have any unit patches on their uniforms or markings on their vehicle. I have a faded memory though that at least one of the BTR's had a white insignia whit a parachute on the drivers hatch.

Good luck with your build, looking forward to see some pics of it!!!
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Apparently in 2000 there were Russsian Mi-24P Hind F's of the 27th Aviation Group stationed at Pristina. Chances are that the helikopters stationed there in 1999 were of the same kind.

A friend of mine, who is more into versions and such, looked at the picture and he agrees with the quoted text above saying that it is a Mi-24P Hind F.
Intrinsic
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 06:49 AM UTC
CanDid, Once again thank you very much for your help it's very much appreciated. The BTR 80's that were at the the APOD belonged to the Airborne unit that 'Took' Pristina Airport the day before NATO (British) forces arrived. The Russians occupied the large accomadation block that was originally earmarked for the RAF. The Russians were busy removing substances possibly Chemical weapons that had been supplied to the Serbs by them. There is a vast underground storage and aircraft repair area in the mountain next to the airfield, NATO forces dropped a 2000 pounder on it but it failed to detonate. The Russians were so intent on getting the stuff out that they risked working beneath the UXB.
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
How's the build going?
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
Found three more pics of Kosovo Hinds hidden in the attic, better late than never I guess

Judging from camo and armament it looks like it is the same one as posted in the previous picture above, not sure though.

P-version is my guess as mentioned above. Look at the metal strip under the pilots door on the cockpit picture.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP