_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:72 Southen Cross
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi there

I couldn't resist doing a quick build of Zvezda's F.VIIb/3m "Southern Cross" that arrived for review yesterday. It's basically the old Frog kit, first released in 1965, so that means little by way of interior detail, and overall it's quite a simple kit. The fit of the basic parts is good, though - in fact, the wings are excellent!

The fabric effect on the fuselage is very heavy and the stringers don't match the drawings I've found online:

A classic "retro" feature is the moulded "Southern Cross" constellation on the sides!:

I few minutes' work with a sanding stick smooths everything down ready for a new stringer effect. :

I'm not going to go mad detailing this build, because it is intended to be a "quickie". However, if anyone has any shots of the preserved Southern Cross, interior or exterior, please post them here, because they'd be really useful!

Aall the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
I love those old kits!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

While I didn't actually build the Southern Cross as a child, I well remember seeing the original Frog kit in the local model shops. Yes, shops, plural - we had four in the town I grew up in, with just as many in every nearby town in Greater London. Those were the days - now you'd probably be hard pressed to find four real model shops in the whole of London!

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Joyous reliving of an otherwise wasted childhood?
Looks like an interesting build. I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally built a Frog kit.
 _GOTOTOP