_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Best F22 Kit for Aero "Newbee" in 1/48
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi Guys !

I'm an Armor Modeller looking to build a nice 1/48 F-22 Raptor

I've never built a serious Aircraft, but would love to build one of these beasts !!.

My preference is a fairly straight forward build, but by the same token something reasonably accurate.

Which kit should I get ?

Hasagawa

Academy

Italeri

I'd rather build OOTB, but if I really need some AM stuff to get the best result, what should it be ?

Cheers

Paul
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hasegawa if you scroll down through the modern forums you will see the review I did
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hasegawa if you scroll down through the modern forums you will see the review I did

Thanks Justin !

Lots or parts from what I see (seeing I'm a Newbee ) , much better than Academy ????
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Well, if you are an experience modeller you won't have any difficulty.
I read some reviews about the 1/48 kits you mentioned because I wanted one, but in the end I didn't get it, and chose the Revell 1/72 kit (which is not small at all though).

The Italeri one is very old and has several fit issues. It should be based on the prototype versions, so I would exclude it.

Academy's is very good, though the cockpit could benefit of a new seat. IIRC there should be some minor fit issues in some areas (i.e. in the exhaust nozzles area), but nothing serious. The decal sheet (always if I remember well) is the most comprehensive and allows you to depict Raptors from ALL the squadrons that use them (tailcodes: AK, FF, WA, HO, ED, OT, TY).

The Hasegawa kit seems to be more precise in the building and features a lot of parts, most of which are supposed to be used inside the fuselage in order to make a sort of "skeleton" which makes the two halves of the fuselage align correctly. Only the panels on the fuselage seem to be a bit thick, but it seems the most complete, also because it feature PE parts for the nozzles. Check the photos here
http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=8307&highlight=hasegawa+raptor

Hasegawa also released a bigger PE set which also features the weapon bay doors. I've seen it some days ago at the shop, it's HUGE (and not cheap at all - €35).
And also released is a SHAMEFUL box of the same kit with manga decals, issued by Hase BEFORE the "ordinary" version!

If it was up to me to choose, I would go for the Academy, also for the decals.
Somebody who built them will definitely tell you more, though.
Happy modelling!
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
Forgot: there are Aires cockpits both for the Academy and the Hasegawa models, and also Eduard released some resin addictions for them!
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Forgot: there are Aires cockpits both for the Academy and the Hasegawa models, and also Eduard released some resin addictions for them!

Thanks Giacomo, the responses so far have been great !

I'm no "Mug" Modeller, but then I've never done anything Aero..

I'd prefer an OOTB accurate Styrene project, but if I need to add resin and AM to fix some REAL probs I will

I have an Aussie F-111 to do, but I really feel the need to do an F22 (maybe even a "What if ? Aussie Version ).

Cheers

Paul

james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
You're welcome!
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're welcome!

I'd love to hear from someone who has built the Academy Version and what they think ....

It seems that it will either Academy or Hasagawa
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 04:01 PM UTC
The Italeri kit is not even in the running; way too many major errors and omissions.

Hasegawa is by far the best 48th F-22 shape and accuracy wise. The Academy kit is ok, but the nose is too wide, canopy frame and cockpit sill have an erroneous bulge, has a blunt radome, vertical tails are about a scale foot too short, and the stabs are way too thin in cross section.

Hasegawa overall, nailed the F-22’s shape; a tall feat considering the how restricted access to the jet is. I was amazed at how accurate the cockpit, weapons bays and wheel wells were captured. The intakes were also impressive.

The one major drawback to the Hasegawa a kit is the exaggerated LO surface detail. These can be knocked down and primed over, but it may take some time. Even so, it’s more than worth it to get a much more accurately done F-22.

Mike V
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an Aussie F-111 to do, but I really feel the need to do an F22 (maybe even a "What if ? Aussie Version ).

RAAF Raptor, yes please, that would be sweeeeeeeeet Paul !!

ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

RAAF Raptor, yes please, that would be sweeeeeeeeet Paul !!

Wouldn't that be something else Damian ?
 _GOTOTOP