_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Blue Angels Questions
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 05:51 PM UTC
I have some questions about a 1/48 Revell Blue Angels F-18 that I picked up today. Here they are:

1. It calls for "French Blue" paint on the outside of the plane. What color is near to it in the Model Master Enamel line. Federal Standard equivilant.

2. Do the Blue Angels use drop tanks?

3. What color should I paint the yellow parts of the plane (wing tips)
-Model Master- Insignia Yellow or Luftwaffe Gelb
-Testors- Gloss yellow

4. Would a final coat of Future look good on it, or would it be a flat finished plane?

Thanks!

~Chip
:-)
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:15 PM UTC
Chip, you are lucky wanting MM paints for this project. Testors has the colour dead on as Blue Angle Blue!!!!!! and Insignia yellow would be a close match to the yellow on the birds. No drop tanks are used for shows but when flying to destinations they may be used. YES furtue would look good on the bird. They are waxed and polished to nice shine for every performance!!!! HTH STUG
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks Stug,

I am building it for one of my moms friends! She is having a rough time right now and really likes the Blue Angels!

~Chip
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
Some people seem to have to trouble with MM Blue Angels Blue, but I never have. Be sure to shake well before using it. I've heard people say that the second coats from the same can/bottle come out either a different shade of blue or flatter or glossier than the first, go figure.

Stug got everything else so have at it.

Okay, one more thing. You will probably have better results using a rattle can for the blue, actually. Be sure to soak the can in warm water a few minutes before spraying and it will come out a lot smoother and give a better finish.
 _GOTOTOP