_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
X-35 grey - some confusion
WLJayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I have a small issue. I'm building the Revell X-35 and the instructions say to paint the top surfaces in a dark grey mix, but comparing that to photos it appears to me that the colour is more of a dark blue-grey. Can anyone verify this? It's not hugely important but it would be nice to get it right if I can.

Will.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
I would be very surprised if it did not use the same colors as the F-16, which are FS 36118 and 36270 for the top, and 36375 for the bottom.

36118, called gunship gray, is kind of a slate gray with what could be called a bluish tint. It is available pre-mixed in several lines of paint

you are probably on top of the medium gray (36270), but to be sure - if you look at this picture you can see the medium gray on the top of the nose is slightly different than the color on the sides and bottom:

-v-
WLJayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
That would make sense, you're probably right. They do look the same having compared them. I better see if Tamiya do those colours.

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing finished pics of that one sweet
WLJayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks . It's a great kit, lots of detail even though its 1/144. I'm making a "minirama" based on a photo I found of the aircraft, simple but should be fun none the less. I'm just waiting for my new airbrush to arrive so I can get cracking. I'll start a build thread when I do.

Ok, by searching other forums I've found out that Tamiya makes the colour as XF-24 Dark Grey. I'm guessing that XF-19 will do for the other sufaces. I'll drop by the model shop tomorrow and pick some up .

Will.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 08:20 AM UTC
Will, Russell here, just wanted to add my two cents worth. You might think of trying the Model Master Acryl line of paints or even the Polly Scale line of paints instead of the Tamiya. I know that Tamiya is loved my some but I always thought it was my last choice of the Acrylic colors. I think it needs to be thinned the most and is harder to spray through an airbush.

Not trying to discourage you at all, if you like Tamiya use it. I just happen to think the other two aforementioned lines are superior. Hope you understand. All the best on your build; Russell.
WLJayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi Russell, thanks for the reccomendation I will try them at some point. I don't have any loyalties to Tamiya as such, it's just that they only carry Tamiya and Humbrol in my local and I don't usually do large surfaces in enamel though they're great for the details. Next time I put an order in with an online retailer I'll order a basic pallete of those other makes, I've heard very good things about them .

Will.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
You have to realize Tamiya paint is not matched to anything. I built a few F-16's and F-5's maybe 25 years ago using Tamiya paints. I found them marginally acceptable then, but I wouldn't today and the colors haven't changed.
WLJayne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 02:32 AM UTC
Ah hah! I found a brand new pot of XF-24 in the depths of my paint stash ! It's not a perfect match, but it's close enough to do the job. As long as it looks like an X-35, being one or two degrees of shade of the true colour doesn't bother me too much. It looks different from photo to photo as well, so it would be difficult to mix the perfect shade.

All I need now is for my airbrush to arrive and I can get going. I think I'll occupy myself with my MiniArt T-70 until then.
 _GOTOTOP