_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F3H-2M by AZ Model
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
Good day everyone,

I recently completed the 1/48 scale F3H-2M by AZ Model. The kit was a bit tricky in places but nothing too tough to overcome. The photo etch fret and Aires resin were an excellent touch to this rare subject.

Onward to the photos:

Box art:

Fuselage components:

Preshading:

Base coat (Gunze) followed by a home-brew shade of blue (Tamiya):

Finally, the finished product:

To replicate the -2M version, I borrowed a Martin Baker Mk7 from a Verlinden set and armed the aircraft with the kit supplied Sparrow Missiles (which were quite nice, I might add).

Thanks for stopping by!
Mark
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
Very nice finish.I'm not really knowledgeable on the demon are those speed brakes on the tops of the wings?
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
That Demon looks really good.
Great job, would look better as a photo feature for the front page though .
Andy
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 08:18 PM UTC
Wow, fantastic looking Demon, one to be very, very pleased about IronMark.
tim
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC
Wow, that's just great

Cheers Nick
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
I certainly appreciate the kind comments. I have enjoyed the very high quality of work by everyone since I discovered this site and have learned much along the way. For this I am grateful.

@Justin - The perforated structures at the wing roots are "spoilers". Since they largely perform the same function as the speed breaks, I can only guess they are deployed during different parts of the flight envelope than the speed breaks. My experience with spoilers is they change the pitch angle of the aircraft when deployed (which is normally countered with a trim adjustment) as the airflow over the top of the wing is disrupted.

Thanks once again everyone!
Falcon50EX
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hi Iron Mark,

Beautiful Job on the F3H. Its sort of a sleeper subject, in that there are a LOT of cool paint schemes for this plane if one is willing to hunt around and dig them up.

The spoilers on the wing upper surfaces are for roll control. They were an afterthought because when the F3H was undergoing testing they discovered that conventional ailerons were twisting the training edge of the wing and causing roll reversal. The Demon had a major change in wing planform between the F3H-1 and F3H-2. The area was drastically increased aft of the rear wing spar.

Just though you might like to know.

FLY NAVY!!

david
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Hi David,

Many thanks for the explanation. Roll reversal! I can only imagine the reports back from flight test that aileron deployment created this undesirable (and unnerving) effect. Another testament to the pilots who flew this bird - indeed, a lady of may personalities and temperaments.

On a side note, I built this for a retired Navy Vet who served in with VF-193 during their deployment on the USS "Bonnie Dick" during the late 1950's. It was a privilege to honor one of our Vets this way and I agree with your assessment 100%, this was just one of many beautiful schemes that graced this aircraft.

FLY NAVY indeed, brother!!
Mark
sernak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi IronMark,

On the whole, it is an excellent work especially the very nice finish you have achieved.

Nevertheless, I would like to make a comment regarding the spoilers. You have placed them wrong; the bottom side should be on top instead of bottom.

I think you can find photos on the website www.cybermodeler.com that shows the correct position.

Cheers

Sernak
entlim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 11:42 PM UTC
Nice build!
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 02:28 PM UTC
Happy New Year everyone,

I hope my message finds you all doing well. Yes, it has been a while since my last post as work and other obligations made their way to the front of my priority list. I'm back at the modeling desk and very happy to be back on-line.

Sernak - you are absolutely correct, sir. I confirmed your reference (thank you for the link, by the way) and indeed, I have crossed my spoilers. Blast! This will be the last time I designate half of my workbench as a proper pub (complete with Boddingtons finest). I knew it would cause problems for me at some point.

Cheers!
Mark
 _GOTOTOP