_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spitfire Reference?
Kilshaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
I am currently building Tamiya's
1/48 Spitfire Mk.1

has any one got any reference on the
No. 610 squadron, s/n L1043 (markings DW O)?

thanks

Jake Kilshaw
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 05:40 AM UTC

that plus knowing the date you want to make the model set for and knowing the standard british marking rules should do you
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Jake,
This might help a little:
Tamiya 1/48 Spit, DW-O
There may be a couple of errors in the markings; I believe that the upper wing roundels were NOT the 56" "B" type but a much smaller version. I think that the correct size, or near correct size, are on the decal sheet. The box top painting may also show the correct way round for the codes on the port side. I did them the same as the starboard side because they are overlarge (but correct for this Squadron). Spitfires normally wore 24" codes, these are more like 36". The "A" type fuselage roundels are also oversize, but again correct for this Squadron.

Camo colours are; Sky (which is a light greeny grey, not a blue colour) undersurfaces, with Dark Darth and Dark Green uppersurfaces. Also note that the fin flash is reversed, with the blue leading, compare it with the flash on DW-K.

Oh and also note that the crowbar in the door should not be red, but was probably gloss black.

I hope this helps.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jake,

Oh and also note that the crowbar in the door should not be red, but was probably gloss black.

I hope this helps.

No crowbars fitted until the Mk V. During the war steel or interior green the most common colours. Not painted red until after the war.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
howdy..

These are photo's of two color plates from 2 different sources. I am not all that up on the subject so I can't say how accurate they are.

Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Camo colours are; Sky (which is a light greeny grey, not a blue colour) undersurfaces, with Dark Darth and Dark Green uppersurfaces. Also note that the fin flash is reversed, with the blue leading, compare it with the flash on DW-K.

The aircraft was photographed in June 1940 shortly after the colour Sky had been introduced. As there was a shortage of Sky several other colours were used as substitutes or squadrons may have mixed there own version. The dark appearance of the undersides suggests that one of the substitute colours was used on this aircraft not Sky. Most likely it was painted with BS 381 (1930) No 1 Sky Blue described as a 'rich duck egg blue'. It would probably been supplied to DTD 63A reduced gloss. The nearest FS 595B match is 14325. To my knowledge the colour is only available from WEM - AC RN 29. NB. Do not confuse this colour with Sky Blue (Ac RN 24) which despite the name is not similar to that from the 1930 British Standards.

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_RAF_Fleet_Air_Arm_128.html
 _GOTOTOP