_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
OOP Decal Curiousity
Wingwalker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
At the risk of exposing my ignorance about decal production, how is it that decal manufacturers such as Data Decals (Soviet WWII markings), and Americal Griffon go out of production without anyone else aquiring the rights and the information to continue to produce the art? This is vital information. Obviously a fair amount of research went into their production, so why has it not been transfered to another printer? Was it not put up for for sale?
I build 1/32nd scale aircraft kits. In 2010 I have too much to build, and of higher quality than I could have dreamt of even two years ago. Thank you,Rowen,Wingnuts,Oh,Roden et al. I just hate the idea of losing decal artwork knowledge we already had.
Is it recoverable?
Wingwalker
wizard179
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 251 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:03 PM UTC
Good question. I'm not an expert in any field related to this topic other than being an awesome consumer...

I would assume that if a company goes broke, it's probably a good sign that their products had limited appeal or cost more to produce than it stood to make in sales. As another business looking to buy Intellectual Property I would avoid the majority of out of business company's stock as you could assume the market research has already been done and was not favourable to the products.

My $0.02
Damo

Although on reading that back, the acquiring business should make a saving on the original R&D and therefore should have a better chance of turning a profit if there is any reasonable demand for the products.
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good question. I'm not an expert in any field related to this topic other than being an awesome consumer...

I would assume that if a company goes broke, it's probably a good sign that their products had limited appeal or cost more to produce than it stood to make in sales.demand for

In the case of Americal the profit was not the driving force of the business. DR. Merrills Love of, and research into the aircraft markings of WW1 were the mainstay! The business did not go "Broke". He quit for personal reasons and chose not to sell his research and artwork. It was a sad loss for us modelers, but Dr. Merril did what he needed to for personal reasons. This is just paraphrasing what I have heard of the Demise of Americal/Gryphon.
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP