_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
fingerprints!
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi all, apologies if this question has been asked before, but does anyone have advice on how to remove fingerprints from a completed model? I've just brought my 1/48 bf 109 home from judging at my club meeting, and it's got a couple of whopper fingerprints on both upper and lower wing surfaces. I've tried polishing with a soft cloth, but it doesn't seem to work. The model's topcoat is Humbrol matt enamel - will spraying on a little more of this help to get rid of the fingerprint? Any suggestions? thanks Brad
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
Was it wet when they touched it or was it a guy with a
Jelly donut.this is weird because after the paint is cured their should not be a way to get them there.I've handled mine a lot with no finger prints.But never the less I would take some 1200 grit and LIGHTLY sand until un seen then respray.
Hope this helps
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Brad

Light detergent used with a cotton bud should get rid of oily/dirty fingerprints. But if they are actually "embedded" into the varnish, as Justin says, gentle sanding and refinishing is probably the answer.

In either case, I should have a word at your club to try to make sure the organisers are more careful in future...

All the best

Rowan
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 06:56 PM UTC
Thanks Justin and Rowan,

I've actually used both techniques you suggested - 12,000 grit micromesh cloth to sand off the fingerprints, and then warm water/detergent applied with a cotton bud to give things a final clean. It's all looking much better, though still not perfect - I'll give it a final touch up with Humbrol matt at some stage to reduce the shininess in the areas I worked on.

I think the problem is all part of my ongoing battle with Humbrol matt enamel varnish - I'm not sure why I'm still using it, I always have problems...The varnish certainly wasn't wet when it was picked up - it had actually been on the model since February - but it clearly didn't provide the rock hard, impermeable coating that I was after.

Thanks again, hopefully I won't have to use these techniques again...

cheers Brad
 _GOTOTOP