_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
HO scale turnbuckles?
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
I ordered some of these, the pic on the tichy train group site is so small I cannot discern how good they are the price is right so I went ahead. What is your opinion on these? there not flat like PE turnbuckles, at 1/87 scale will they look good on a 1/32 nieuport? I am not real hot on building buckles from tubes ect...maybe I am lazy
Wingwalker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
They are comparable in size to those on the the P.E. sheets and are in three dimentions. They have a hole through the center so that they may be strung onto your rigging and later glued into position. They represent an open barrel type of turnbuckle. Over all they're a good, simple, alternative.
Wingwalker
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC
Show us a good pic when they come in.
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 02:04 PM UTC
not sure if they are the accurate type for a nieuport 17 however they will be of use sooner or later...so hard to find pics of what the real thing looked like as I am still searching for good reference per reccomendation here on forum I am going to try to purchase cross and cockade mags for reference because if I spend big bucks for a hardback my wife will be a wee bit miffed.....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

not sure if they are the accurate type for a nieuport 17 however they will be of use sooner or later...so hard to find pics of what the real thing looked like as I am still searching for good reference per reccomendation here on forum I am going to try to purchase cross and cockade mags for reference because if I spend big bucks for a hardback my wife will be a wee bit miffed.....

Have a look on the Aerodrome under Mark Miller 3D drawings
Many questions will be answered with the turn buckles .
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:34 PM UTC
never thought I would be rather obsessive about a turnbuckle on a nearly extinct airplane a great hobby though and have learned about history, I will have a look at the drawings..thanks.the jig I bought has me thinking Ican actually complete a biplane
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
I had a closer look at the 3d drawings,amazing work he does and a clear..very clear shot of the turnbuckles, perfect reference,thanks.
 _GOTOTOP