Modern aircraft of the United States.
AFV Club F5E/F5-N
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hello boys and girls. I just received this excellent looking kit for review. I thought I would do another build log like I did the the Trupmy SU-24. At first glance the kit looks rather nice. It includes a nice print of the box art in a protective sleeve, a small fret of PE, fine recessed panel lines, and abundant detail overall. The paint scheme and decals will help set this one apart from the others as they are very colorful. My first go round with the kit netted me getting just a few basic items completed last night. I have an empty house until Sunday, so I plan on using the time to get as much of this knocked out as I can before SWMBO returns The detail on the intrument panel is excellent and the fit is good too. Side consoles are seperate pieces which makes for easier painting. There are a couple of knock out marks on the back of the ejection seat, but these will be easily covered with some .005 sheet and some after market shoulder harnesses. I assembled the drop tanks last night before turning out the lights and heading off to bed. There is a small poly cap that is trapped inside the larger tank which allows it to be swapped out with other ordinance should the builder wish to do so later. Pretty nice feature. Without further ado, here's the pics of said kit... MOre to follow soon.
Thanks "Q"

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
Damn man. Just when I start to get a little bench time again, you go and start another addictive full blown build review. Yeah, I'll be watching this one too.....like I have a choice?

Hermon
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 06:33 PM UTC
Very nice start Matt!

I found the kit very good despite the very modular design (see Blog here). I am looking forward to the recce version, but until then I will follow you build

all the best

Steffen
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys. Stayed up late last night so I didn't get the early start this morning that I was hoping for, but I got started none the less. Cockpit minus the instrument panel is painted and drying. Waiting for the aircraft gray to dry on the IP before painting it. With the IP painted and installed things should look really good as the detail is really well done and crisp. Painting consisted of Model Master Aircraft Gray for the majority of things with the seat being shot in Floquil Dark Sea Gray for some contrast and the consoles and head rest done with Humbrol #33 Flat Black. The seat cushion and all the knobs/dials were picked out using Vallejo Acrylics. Not alot since last time, but an update just the same. Looking forward to getting some assembly done. More to follow.
Thanks, "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Here's the paint and installed instrument panel. Very nicely detailed and shows well under paint. Will be doing more tonight. Stay tuned....Thanks, "Q"
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:17 PM UTC
Looking great so far Q, this will be another great thread to follow.

Quick question, do you ever have solvent issues using elastic bands ? Do they ever stick or melt ?

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:01 PM UTC
I'm diggin' it. Looks like a nice tight fit in the tub. So be honest Q, are you using some kind of NASA nano-tech stuff to paint those control panels and instrument panel? Outstanding.

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick question, do you ever have solvent issues using elastic bands ? Do they ever stick or melt ?

Hi Damian, Thanks for the kudos. When I use the bands, I usually wait about 10-15 seconds for the solvent to have evaporated then wrap them. I also try to use them in sections where there isn't any solvent. When I can't, I'll use 3M Blue Painters tape instead. Usually takes some fore thought when I do this. Sometimes I'm left holding the parts with just my fingers until things set up enough. Thanks again for the kudos.

Quoted Text

So be honest Q, are you using some kind of NASA nano-tech stuff to paint those control panels and instrument panel? Outstanding.

lol, no such nano-technology here. Mostly light applications of washes and pin point painting with Vallejo acrylics followed by a light dry brushing using oils. The detail in this kit is so well molded that it makes painting it a breeze. Glad you like it Hermon. "Q"
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:40 PM UTC
Wow love the instrument panel good job
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
Thanks Justin, much appreciated. I've been following along in the shadows with your Hawkeye build. Looks nice. "Q"
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Q,

Awesome job!

I purchased AFV's sister release to your F-5E (kit number AR48102) at Squadron's open house a month or so ago and was floored by the amount of detail contained therein. Needless to say I was quite happy this magnificent aircraft received the attention she so rightfully deserves. Your build is inspiring me to move it up in the holding pattern.

Brilliant job so far!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
Looking good, Q!

I'm a big fan of this airframe, but the new AFV Club kit has not made its way onto my shelves as of yet. Seeing the cockpit go together definitely makes me want to get my hands on one.

-YL
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
Thanks guys. The fit of the rest of the kit is equally good. I have only had to use a small amount of Mr. Surfacer on a couple small seams. Pics to follow on that. I got about 90% of the kit assembled today. I will be painting soon. Just need to get the remaining parts cleaned up and broken down into sub assemblies for painting. Pics to follow soon. I'm in the middle of casting some resin parts that are needed for something else.....like yesterday. Back soon. "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Well here is where it sits as of yeesterday. Still a ways to go yet, but not too much further. Looking forward to getting some paint on this one. More to follow soon.."Q"
Seam at rear most part of fuselage. Easy clean up with some Mr. Surfacer 500...

Everything tied together...tail is just sitting on there. Will get painted by itself, decaled then installed..
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:06 AM UTC
Well this one is moving right along. I shot the camo colors today and everything went pretty well. I have to reshoot one leading edge slat as I painted the wrong side initially. Easy fix there. Some minor touch ups to do, but overall I'm happy with how things came out. Model Master enamels were used entirely for the camo colors. No masks, just eyeballing the scheme from the destructions and some patience. Gloss coat, decals and fiddly bits remain. Thanks, "Q"

skyhawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
that looks awesome...have one sitting on my self as well, but alas, too many other projects that need finished first!!

ill have to live vicariously through you...

Andy
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks Andy. It really is a nice kit in every sense of the word. No major complaints from me. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Looks Good. If I wasn't so far behind already, I'd consider poping out one of the F-5's in the stash myself.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 01:14 PM UTC
very impressive camo scheme good work
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC
Nice work Q

Makes me want to dig out my old Italeri F-5 and Wolfpack 'N' conversion.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the kudos guys. I reached a stopping point tonight. Will hold here for approximately the next 48-72 hours as I let my gloss coat dry/cure. I finally ran into a tricky spot on this build. The landing gear. Most of us are fimiliar with the legs having either a pin or recess on them that fits into a corresponding pin or recess on the gear door. No such animal here. There are three extremely tiny pieces that attach the gear door to the gear leg. That is all. No other means of attaching the doors are found. However, they fit very well and everything fit like it should....even when I managed to assemble my doors/legs upside down I popped them apart and rotated them 180 degrees, added another small drop of CA and all was well. If you look closely in the pic you can see the small arms I'm talking about. If you lose one of them your basically screwed unless you can fabricate one. So take care not to! As you can see in the pic, I need to tidy up the tire/wheel demarcation a bit. Easy enough to do once everything sets up a bit longer. Decals and fiddly bits should follow soon.
Thanks, "Q"

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
Looks great, Q. I LOVE the camo.

As for the landing gear, don't sweat it. I know of at least 2 others who did the exact same (upside down) thing.

-YL
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 08:30 PM UTC
Cheers Matt

that was the only fiddly bit on my model too. I first attached these two to the u/c cover:

let it dry thoroughly and then together with the 3rd to the u/c (which I had already fixed to the a/c). BTW here is my thread

Another nitpick: Did you forget to clean up teh mold seam on the u/c leg?

all the best

Steffen
pikas01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Another F-5 is issued.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC
Looks good Matt!

Quoted Text

Another nitpick: Did you forget to clean up teh mold seam on the u/c leg

Oh well, sometimes the gods have feet of clay..
 _GOTOTOP