_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Started a BAC Lightning F3 Today
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
Was in the local Hobby shop and couldn't resist picking up a Airfix 1/72 BAC Lightning F3. How could I resist, it was only $3....lol! I'm not a big fan of 1/72 scale but I've always liked the look of the Lightning and it gives me a cheap subject to try a bare metal foil finish on. I've already got the fuselage together and pics can be seen at the following link:

My Website-just click on the In Progress button to get to the pics.
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
Great TC - nice to see a fine British aeroplane.

I note you selected early jets for the forum subtitle. Given the long gestation period of the P1/Lightning family I guess thats right. But then again the Brits kept the Lightning going for so long after the expiry of its use-by date it probably qualifies as 'modern jet'.

I understood that the preserved Lightnings in the UK were all out-of-hours airframes. But recently read that some are airworthy but the Civil Aviation authority wont let the owners use the Avpin starter 'cos they feel it is unwise to let civilians loose with potentialy high explosive materials.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Regards Dave

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 09:18 AM UTC
:-) Nice one Bryan, I have the Airfix 1/48 Lightning. I will build it when I have been able to try out using kitchen foil on an actual airframe. :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP