_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Best acrylic metallics for airbrushing?
Vapour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:37 PM UTC
I've tried Vallejo Model Air, and just cannot get these to go through my airbrush properly. This is a shame as they look great if you do manage to get them down. I've also tried Tamiya and they spray really well but I don't like the finish as it's a bit flaky.

I'm not ready to go down the Alclad route yet so was wondering if there are any acrylic alternatives? It is specifically the metallics I am interested in, and they must be readily available in the UK.

Thanks in advance.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC
Hi there. I use Polly Scale railroad colors Aluminum or Model Master Acryl Aluminum. Hope you can retrieve one of these. They work pretty well I think. Take care, Russell.
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 - 08:39 PM UTC
I have heard GamesWorkshop Citadel metallics airbrush well- but I have not tried them. I've tried their red and yellow through the airbrush, and they tend to clog the nozzle quickly, because they have a lot of pigment in them ( I guess that ensures they have good coverage in one brushed-on coat). However, they laid down a very smooth coat on the model. One thing that surprised me is that when airbrushed they go super matt, which is the complete opposite of when brush painted. So if the metallics are anything like them, you may do better mixing a bit of gloss varnish with them, or doing a gloss coat on top of the metallics. If you do a bit of googling, I'm sure I've seen a 1/32 Lightning done in Citadel, and it looked good to me. Of course, their main advantage is that they are readily available in most cities.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hawkeye Models has their Talon line of metallic acrylics. These are awesome, ready to spray out of the bottle. The only catch is they're best applied over primer. They will work over bare plastic, but are easily prone to being rubbed off.
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've tried Vallejo Model Air, and just cannot get these to go through my airbrush properly.

Try adding a couple of drops of Windosr & Newton Flow Improver. This suff makes acrylic paints flow thru the AB like silk. I thin my paints with Future and then add the flow improver and is just pure heaven, no skipping, spitting or clogging.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've tried Vallejo Model Air, and just cannot get these to go through my airbrush properly. This is a shame as they look great if you do manage to get them down. I've also tried Tamiya and they spray really well but I don't like the finish as it's a bit flaky.

I'm not ready to go down the Alclad route yet so was wondering if there are any acrylic alternatives? It is specifically the metallics I am interested in, and they must be readily available in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

So, I'm not the only one who is a bit sceptical about using alclad

I am facing the same problem, i want to finish a plane in bare metal.

I was recommended to use AS-20 from Tamiya but have no practical experience myself
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Why are people sceptical about using Alclad? I've found it easy to apply, robust and gives a convincing finish?

All the best

Rowan
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi all
I have to agree with Rowan, Alclad II is very easy to use as long as you prime your plastic before hand. I have used Alclad primer and Halfords acrylic primer. I have also used Johnsons Kleer. Also use Alclads airbrush cleaner to hmmm, clean your airbrush. Seriously it is very good stuff and dries very quickly, the parts sprayed can be handled within minutes.
A word of warning though, I was not to impressed with Alclads black gloss primer. My experience is that I seem to use a lot more paint than using a lighter coloured primer. It is Ok in small areas to achieve differing shades of metal.
Do use a mask, so you dont breath in the fumes. Try it I am sure you will love the stuff.
tim
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why are people sceptical about using Alclad? I've found it easy to apply, robust and gives a convincing finish?

Rowan

Ditto. No complaints here. just follow the directions and you will have a great metal finish.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there

All the best

Rowan

Well, from what I read it looks like a complicated process to me. first drybrush entirely gloss black and then add alclad;

I also found comments that alclad is not scratch free whih is for me the biggest worry

or is all this simply b..ls;;t

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Drabslab

I don't find Alclad any harder to use than other paints. Applying metallic silver etc. over a black undercoat is nothing new (I have to admit I've never tried Alclad's own-brand undercoat) - I discovered that gave an extra intensity long before Alclad was ever available. Durability? - that's a tricky one, because all metallic finishes are prone to show damage - and the finer the finish, the more it'll highlight any defect or damage, but I've found Alclad a lot better than many that I've tried.

But in the end, like everything else in modelling, it's all subjective. Some people say you can't brush paint ModelMaster buffing metallics, but I do that all the time. Equally, many modellers swear by Vallejo paints... while I just swear at them! (despite repeated attempts, I just can't master them for airbrushing.)

All the best

Rowan
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Drabslab

I don't find Alclad any harder to use than other paints. Applying metallic silver etc. over a black undercoat is nothing new (I have to admit I've never tried Alclad's own-brand undercoat) - I discovered that gave an extra intensity long before Alclad was ever available. Durability? - that's a tricky one, because all metallic finishes are prone to show damage - and the finer the finish, the more it'll highlight any defect or damage, but I've found Alclad a lot better than many that I've tried.

But in the end, like everything else in modelling, it's all subjective. Some people say you can't brush paint ModelMaster buffing metallics, but I do that all the time. Equally, many modellers swear by Vallejo paints... while I just swear at them! (despite repeated attempts, I just can't master them for airbrushing.)

All the best

Rowan

OK, I surrender, I will try out Alclad on an F-84 that I have in my .... eu .... workbench, well, in my stack actually...

I will brief you on the result

oops did i just admit again that i have a stack
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hello,
try Gunze Metalizers for spraying, they are very good and give a grainless finish even without polishing.

I also agree on Citadel, Mithril Silver and Boltgun Metal being my favourite metallics - if you can live with a more frequent cleaning of your airbrush they also give you very nice surfaces (with visible but still very fine metallic grains). In my experience Citadel metallics dry to a slightly glossy satin finish (I've tried them thinned both by alcohol and water. They seem to work with Vallejo thinner as well).

sofaking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
Great AB tips thank you!
emmawatson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
Hello all,
The choice of colors you choose for aircraft are awesome and unique rarely used really i like all ...............and all the best for your crafts.

http://www.panzerfux.de/de/

viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there

All the best

Rowan

Well, from what I read it looks like a complicated process to me. first drybrush entirely gloss black and then add alclad;

I also found comments that alclad is not scratch free whih is for me the biggest worry

or is all this simply b..ls;;t

Drybrush Black? I have never read that. While it would likely work, the thing with the Alclad paint is that it is so thin that it will show every flaw, so you would have to get get an ultra smooth drybrushing of black on your kit, so better off to spray it on.

That being said....there are only a few of Alclad's colors that need a black basecoat to get the desired effect from the paint. Chrome, Polished Aluminum, Polished Brass and Stainless Steel (the last one I just learned about not that long ago), the rest of their color line can be used over your normal Grey or White primer.

In the end, they are super easy to use.

I haven't used the metallics in the Vallejo Air line, but I am told they give a good finish as well.
 _GOTOTOP