Hosted by Rowan Baylis
49th FG P-40 complete (sans decals)
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
Academy, 1/72 P-40N - As some of you might remember, I was after 49th FG decals for a particular a/c a while back...........

However, in the end I was unable to obtain the decals I wanted in the 1/72 scale, and I badly wanted a silver bird, so pressed on with the build anyway. I've read that some aircraft in this unit didn't have serial numbers, so we'll say mine's one of those.

By no means a pefects build, and only my 4th ever - still, I'm happy with it and apart from the decal hunting, I pretty much ejoyed myself while working with her.

I don't have an airbrush yet although will be getting one soon. With this build I used my trusty Tamiya rattle-cans, and artistss acrylics for the weathering.

I think I over did it with the exhaust stains a little, but I love weathered birds!

Flyingjibus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC
looks good. Intersting how much silver changes the lines of the P-40
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC
Alex,

Looks good. Weathered NMF is hard enough, but with a rattle can and artist's acrylics you've done wonders. Hope you have another P-40 in you for the workhorse campaign.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys, glad you like it! I'm hopefully improving with every new build, so roll on #5, my bare metal 262.
 _GOTOTOP