_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Trouble in spraying clear gloss paint
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hello all,
I did the last modelling act of the summer (leaving for a short holiday tomorrow) a couple of days ago spraying Tamiya's acrylic X-22 on Airfix's Spit PRXIX.
I worked as with any other paint: thinner in the cup first, then paint. I get nice, smooth, even coats with flat colours, but X-22 behaves quite strange: it's smoother on the curved areas (i.e. the fuselage) while it's rough (though remaining glossy) on plain surfaces such as the wings (AKA "orange-peel effect").
I think the colour was diluted correctly and the pressure was around 10psi... how can avoid this in the future?
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
That's weird. Was it a very humid day? Sometimes the weather can create strange results on your paint work. Try upping the psi to10-15. How old is the clear? If its old stock it may be starting to go bad. Have you tried using Future? Its cheaper and is self leveling.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thanks for answering!
Yes, it was a VERY VERY VERY humid day, but the paint was almost brand new!
I'll try spraying it next month when the temperature will be lower.
I know Future is somewhat magic, but unfortunately it's not available in Italy, and there is no equivalent either!
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC
I for one have not experienced this problem but have heard of different people spraying on very humid days and getting the same results as you. I'll bet you the humidity is the causing factor. And again, I would also bring up the pressure to 15-20's psi. Experimentation with the pressure may give you better results.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Orange peel is caused by the solvent evaporating before the paint hits the surface. You probably sprayed the flat areas from further away than the curved areas. Try spraying closer and see if that cures the problem.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks Gentlemen!
I'll retry when I go back home!
 _GOTOTOP