_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/48 scale Hueys
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
I have built many Huey models in my life, it is one of my favorite helicopters. Here are a few from my collection. First one is a Italeri UH 1 D in Vietnam era U.S. markings. The crew are converted from Hasegawa ground crew and Monogram helmets and heads. The M-60's are scratch built and I used lots of O gauge railroad stuff for the junk n the cabin.

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
She looks very nice. Good job on her. Only a few nit-picky critiques. In the configuration you have (pitot tube ob the roof, blade antenna, no FM homing antennae on the nose) it is actually a UH-1H. Next, the vertical antennae/grab handles behind the pilots' doors were not used until the late '70's, after Vietnam. Most were on foreign Hueys and not US Army Hueys as well. Also, you have the position marker lights reversed. Port, left side, is red and the starboard, right side is green. Lastly, there should only be one grab handle on top of the fuselage behind the pilots door on the starboard side where the square steps are. There should not be handle on the roof behind the main cabin doors either. There are no steps on the port side and there are hand holds built into the rear area. Other than the above, it looks great.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 02:28 PM UTC
Gino
all good points, I will be more careful in the future, but just so you know I built this a long time ago and my research skills were not as good as they should have been. I did have fun doing it though. The thing about the lights, I have no real good excuse, just oops. At least its not the star on the wrong wing that I have also done I am sorry to say. Thanks for the advise.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 03:20 PM UTC
OK Gino, how about this one, also one from a few years ago but now a Italian paint job on the same kit. I used 1/35th floats from an H-13 resin conversion. The size seemed about right. The winch was detailed from the kit and most of the interior is just kit parts with more detail to enhance them.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 03:24 PM UTC
Just looked at the nav lights, and am glad to say I got it right this time. amazing how hard that can be some times for an old guy like me.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
I loved the Italian, it's shape & paintjob is just so tempting

Shame on me, I'm an aviator and I haven't built a Heli yet

Cheers Nick
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC
The Italian one looks good to me as well. I don'y know about the accuracy of the floats, but they do look the part. Good job.
scottew7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
Very nice
 _GOTOTOP